Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Subdivision topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Neighbors press Long Beach board over parking and notice as applicant seeks subdivision at 741 East Broadway; hearing held open

Long Beach Planning Board (acting also as Architectural Review Board when noted) · November 7, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Planning Board heard a proposal from the Cody Corporation to subdivide a merged municipal parcel at 741 East Broadway into four residential lots. Neighbors raised concerns about parking, traffic and lack of notice; the board held the public hearing open and advised residents to submit written comments ahead of a likely vote on Jan. 8.

The Long Beach Planning Board heard an application from the Cody Corporation to subdivide property at 741 East Broadway into four lots and discussed lot dimensions, curb cuts, off‑street parking and potential three‑story FEMA‑type homes.

Attorney Thomas McKevitt presented the application, saying the merged parcel comprises approximately 10,460 square feet and that the applicant is proposing two northern lots of 2,707.5 square feet (47.5 by 57) and two southern lots of 2,422.5 square feet (42.5 by 57). The proposal would include two curb cuts on the north side and garages for each unit; the architect, James Joyce, said the design uses semi‑attached (centerline) units so setbacks to adjacent properties can be increased.

Neighbors at the public hearing objected to the scale and to potential loss of an informal community lot that residents have used for decades. Kathleen Sullivan, who identified herself as a 55‑year resident at 107 Coolidge, said the vacant lot has been used as a play area and for informal parking and that build‑out would “totally…make parking so bad for the residents” on seasonally congested President’s Streets. Multiple speakers said they did not receive timely notice of the application despite mailed notices the staff said were sent within the 150‑foot notification radius.

Board counsel and staff reiterated the limited scope of the current proceeding: the planning board is being asked to decide only whether to allow the subdivision. Any future redevelopment would require a building‑permit application, possible zoning variances at the Zoning Board of Appeals, and separate site‑plan review before this board. Deputy Corporation Counsel Joseph Lupo and staff advised neighbors to submit written evidence and suggested the board hold the hearing open while staff gathers traffic and neighborhood‑use information.

The board did not vote on the subdivision at the meeting. Staff informed the room that the December planning board meeting had been postponed and that, if the hearing is left open, the board would most likely decide the matter on Jan. 8. Residents were given the planning board email (rlynch@longbeachny.gov) and encouraged to submit written comments for the record.