Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Land Use topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Council continues public hearing on proposed vacation of portion of 0 Street after neighbors raise access concerns
Summary
A public hearing on a proposal to vacate a portion of 0 Street between 1st and 2nd was opened by the city and continued to Nov. 19 after nearby property owners said the abandonment could create an island lot and block emergency access.
Get email alerts on the Land Use topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The council opened a public hearing on a staff proposal to vacate a portion of 0 Street between 1st and 2nd Street at the request of Burrell Lumber. Community Development Director Othon Moore said the application was noticed and appeared to comply with zoning and parking, and that one opposition comment had been filed previously in 2022.
Nearby property owners told the council they owned back‑to‑back lots that currently use 0 Street for access and said an abandonment could create an “island” lot and limit emergency vehicle access. A resident, Daniel Alva, said his family’s two lots would lose access and expressed concern about safety and property value. Moore told the council that the applicant had agreed to pay for any required lot‑merger documentation and to clean up properties before the abandonment would be recorded. Staff said the city would not record any abandonment until required cleanup and documentation were completed.
Because property owners requested additional review and maps showing exact parcel boundaries and alternative configurations, the council continued the hearing to the next regular meeting on Nov. 19. Council took no action on the proposed vacation at this meeting.
What’s next: staff will prepare follow‑up options and maps, meet with the affected property owners and the applicant, and return the matter to the Nov. 19 meeting for further consideration.

