Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Rezoning topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Planning commission backs rezoning for Old Fort Eustis apartments despite residents’ traffic and drainage worries
Summary
The Newport News Planning Commission on Nov. 5 voted 5–1 to recommend that City Council approve a conditional change of zoning (CZ2024Tech0001) to allow medium‑density apartments at 628 and 634 Old Fort Eustis Boulevard, sending the proposal to council for a Dec. 9 hearing.
Get email alerts on the Rezoning topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Newport News Planning Commission on Nov. 5 recommended that City Council approve a conditional change of zoning (CZ2024Tech0001) to rezone two parcels at 628 and 634 Old Fort Eustis Boulevard from R‑4 (single‑family dwelling) to R‑7 (medium‑density multiple‑family dwelling) with proffers, voting 5–1 and sending the item to council for a Dec. 9 hearing.
Planning staff and the applicant said the revised proposal responds to earlier neighborhood concerns by moving the buildings about 20 feet west to create a 40‑foot separation between buildings and the eastern property line, adding a 20‑foot landscape/transitional buffer, preserving healthy existing trees where possible and supplementing with evergreen plantings and an 8‑foot privacy fence. The applicant also proffered to implement the recommendations of a traffic impact analysis (TIA) accepted by the city, including construction of a tapered right‑turn lane on Fort Eustis Boulevard, widening Old Fort Eustis Boulevard to 32 feet, and providing full‑movement entrances to the site.
Why it matters: The parcels total about 6.29 acres and abut single‑family neighborhoods and existing medium‑density developments. The site’s rezoning would allow a multistory apartment complex consistent with surrounding R‑7 properties and with city housing strategies to increase market‑rate apartment supply, but nearby residents warned that the site’s drainage, limited local road capacity and eastern setbacks still raise safety and privacy concerns.
What proponents said: Saul (planning staff) summarized the history: the commission and City Council previously reviewed and denied the application, and council remanded it to give the applicant time to work with the community. Attorney Tyler Rose, representing the applicant, said the revised site plan and five proffers address prior concerns and noted that the TIA was prepared by a professional engineer and accepted by city engineering staff. "I respectfully request a recommendation of approval," Rose told commissioners.
Developer Alvin Kils acknowledged mistakes in the earlier outreach process. "I feel I owe this commission an apology," he told the panel, and described additional community meetings and revisions to the plan.
What opponents said: Dozens of residents spoke during the public hearing. Speakers cited three recurring problems: flooding/drainage on the parcel (described by one resident as "swampy"), insufficient mature trees in the immediate eastern buffer that make the proposed new plantings less effective, and limited roadway capacity on Old Fort Eustis/Old Stable Road that could create egress and safety problems during peak travel or emergencies. "I'm so concerned for public safety," said resident Sean Fowler, summarizing traffic worries echoed by other neighbors.
Staff responses and limits: City transportation chief Lisa Frankenberger told commissioners the proffered right‑turn lane and updated turning radii should allow right‑turning vehicles to make the movement without encroaching on the opposite side of the roadway, and staff reiterated that the approved TIA recommendations would be implemented as proffered. Several commissioners also noted alternate egress routes exist for parts of the neighborhood, though residents said those routes are longer and not ideal for daily travel.
Action taken: A commissioner moved to approve CZ2024Tech0001 with the submitted proffers; the motion was seconded and carried by a 5–1 vote. The commission record shows a recommendation of approval; the item is scheduled for City Council consideration Dec. 9, 2025.
What remains unresolved: Residents repeatedly asked for more detailed, committed drainage controls and for specific planting and installation timing for the proposed buffer trees. The applicant said landscaping would generally be installed near the end of construction ("right before the COs"), and the applicant identified Leyland cypress as the primary evergreen to be used in the buffer. Several speakers requested binding commitments on drainage details and planting season/timing in writing; those specific commitments do not appear in the proffers summarized by staff and should be checked in the formal proffer language filed with the council.
Next steps: The recommendation will be transmitted to Newport News City Council for a Dec. 9, 2025 public hearing.

