Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Community Services topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Residents urge fencing at Quail Lake, better open-space protections and food assistance during council meeting
Summary
Residents urged immediate safety steps at Quail Lake and city open space, described growing food need amid a government shutdown, and raised a separate property-rights complaint to which staff said they are responding.
Get email alerts on the Community Services topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
San Marcos — At the city council’s oral communications segment, residents raised a cluster of local concerns including open-space safety, food assistance demand, and an individual property-rights dispute.
Si Chen, president of the Skylark Owners Association, told the council the protective fencing promised around Quail Lake and other stop-gap measures have not yet been installed. “The protective fencing... was to have been started last month. This has not happened,” he said, and urged developer Lennar to prioritize public safety and install the fencing immediately. Chen said stakeholders — including the HOA, Fallbrook Land Conservancy, Lennar and city staff — planned a meeting the coming Friday.
Natalie Aguilar, a community educator with Universidad Popular, said local low-income families are feeling “deep stress and uncertainty as a result of the government shutdown,” and reported rising demand at the organization’s food pantry. Aguilar listed needed items including salt, oil, maseca (corn flour), beans and rice, and described ongoing Tuesday civics-education classes.
Allison Stanton, speaking for the Rancho Tazorra HOA, described two recent incidents in city-maintained open space where vehicles went off-road, including one that overturned and caught fire; she thanked first responders and said city staff plan to evaluate the site for short-term barricades and long-term hardening solutions. “These back to back incidents... have understandably raised serious concerns,” Stanton said.
Resident Liz Santos raised a separate, detailed complaint on behalf of her 81-year-old mother alleging city staff confusion and unauthorized work related to entitlements (TPM 19001/GP20-0007). Santos said the family suffered violent altercations and near-misses tied to construction activity and requested documentation; city staff and special counsel were reported to be addressing the matter.
City staff responded in part: staff will share county resource links or create a social-media post to direct residents to food assistance, noted the city participates with 2-1-1 as a resource, and acknowledged that staff and special counsel are engaged on Santos’s case.

