Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Food Assistance topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

United Way invests $100,000 in Chelsea as city pledges $100,000 match to relaunch "1 Chelsea Fund"

City of Chelsea · November 10, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

United Way of Massachusetts Bay announced a $100,000 investment to reactivate Chelsea's 1 Chelsea Fund to provide emergency food assistance after a federal SNAP interruption; the city pledged a $100,000 match and initial grants of $65,000 were awarded to seven local organizations.

United Way of Massachusetts Bay announced a $100,000 investment in Chelsea to reactivate the local "1 Chelsea Fund" and provide emergency food assistance, the organization's president told attendees at a brief event in Chelsea.

"The United Way Of MassBay is announcing a $100,000 investment from the United Response Fund to support efforts to provide emergency food assistance here in Chelsea," Marty Martinez, President and CEO of the United Way of Massachusetts Bay, said during the event. Martinez said the 13 United Ways across the state mobilized the United Response Fund after federal disruptions to SNAP benefits, which he said put about 1,100,000 people at risk of losing access to food and resources.

Chelsea officials welcomed the donation and pledged additional local support. "Our City Council will match this donation with $100,000 of City funds," the city official said, thanking the United Way and nonprofit partners and describing plans to relaunch the 1 Chelsea Fund to provide direct assistance to households facing food insecurity and emergencies. Martinez said the United Way's first round of grants had already awarded $65,000 to seven Chelsea-based organizations to expand food pantries, launch mobile markets and deliver meals.

State elected officials framed the announcement as part of a larger response to federal disruptions. A state senator criticized federal leaders for what he described as policies that "turn a blind eye" to communities experiencing hunger and urged Washington to release frozen SNAP funds. "Release the SNAP funds," the senator said, calling on federal officials to stop tying assistance to litigation or other delays.

State Representative Judith Garcia said the Commonwealth had acted to get benefits into households and gave an update on distribution. "This state made sure on Saturday that families received SNAP benefits," Garcia said, adding that the remaining SNAP households, "about 44% of them," should receive full benefits starting this week, "barring further action from the Trump administration," according to her remarks. Garcia also asked viewers to donate to the relaunched local fund and cited a suggested donation of "$5.10 dollars."

Martinez and city leaders named La Collaborativa, GreenRoots, Community Action Programs, Inner City, The Neighborhood Developers, Revival International, Soccer Without Borders and Salem Chelsea Day Resource Center as the first wave of local organizations receiving support.

Event organizers said the $100,000 United Way investment and the city's pledged $100,000 match are intended to get money into community organizations quickly while additional fundraising continues. The ceremony concluded with remarks of thanks and a group photo with nonprofit partners.