Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Snap Emergency Funding topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Fiscal Committee OKs $2 million to expand mobile food pantries for SNAP recipients during federal shutdown

Fiscal Committee · October 28, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The Fiscal Committee voted unanimously to authorize up to $2,000,000 to contract with the New Hampshire Food Bank to expand mobile food pantry access for SNAP recipients during a pause in federal SNAP disbursements.

The Fiscal Committee voted unanimously to authorize up to $2,000,000 to contract with the New Hampshire Food Bank to expand mobile food pantry access for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) recipients during an interruption of federal SNAP disbursements.

Commissioner Lori Weaver, Commissioner of Health and Human Services, told the committee the department received notice last week from USDA and the Food and Nutrition Service that the state ‘‘would not be receiving any funds for November 1.’’ She said the department activated a contingency plan to work with the food bank to increase access and supply for SNAP recipients.

‘‘So the item that you have before you is basically to accept and expend money to allow the department to create a contract, a specific contract with the food bank, to meet the needs of our SNAP recipients during the federal shutdown,’’ Weaver said.

Weaver said the department estimates roughly 74,000 SNAP recipient households in the state — about 45,000 adults and roughly 24,000 children — and that the monthly federal SNAP benefit draw for the state is typically about $12,600,000. ‘‘This is a band aid,’’ she said of the proposed action, adding the funds would not fully replace federal benefits but would provide access to fresh food and address dietary needs.

Karen Hebert, director for the Division of Economic Stability, said the New Hampshire Food Bank expects it will take about one week to deploy additional mobile pantries after a contract is approved and that the food bank will not order food until the contract is in place. Hebert said the plan anticipates adding about two additional mobile pantry events per week statewide while avoiding duplication with existing scheduled pantries.

The department described a multi-pronged communications plan to notify SNAP households, including mailed notices, texts and emails for recipients who have elected those options, a dedicated webpage on the department site, social media posts and partner outreach (including grocery associations, family resource centers and childcare providers). The department also asked partners to help publicize pantry locations.

On program interactions, department staff said WIC benefits had received short-term federal funding that would carry WIC families through about Nov. 10, while school meal programs remain available. Energy assistance is administered outside HHS and was reported to be secure through the end of the calendar year.

Nathan White, the department’s chief financial officer, explained the funding mechanics: the $2,000,000 would come from excess Medicaid Enhancement Tax (MET) revenue accepted from state fiscal year 2025 and used, under state law and 2025 legislation (SB 249 as cited in the record), to offset general funds supporting the contract. The contract is expected to be cost-reimbursement only; the department said advanced payments are not typical but that payment turnaround would be accelerated given the urgency.

When asked about federal reimbursement, White said reimbursement would depend on final federal action and the language of any federal budget or appropriation that follows. ‘‘Ultimately, the question of reimbursement will come down to what is in the final budget that passes at the federal level,’’ he said.

Senator Grama moved to adopt the item recorded in the committee minutes as ‘‘25-257’’; Senator Waters seconded. Representative Mooney and other members praised the department’s rapid response. The chair called the question and the committee approved the item unanimously; the transcript records the vote as unanimous but does not include a roll-call tally.

The department said it would take the acceptance and the contract to council the next day for formal approval, and that the contract was drafted to allow flexibility should the shutdown extend beyond November. Committee members asked the department to provide a list of the food bank’s partner pantries and to work with community organizations to solicit donations and volunteer support.

The committee set its next meeting for Nov. 21 at 11 a.m. and adjourned.