Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the School Sports topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Parents, players tell North Hunterdon‑Voorhees board to intervene after coaches withdraw from girls soccer banquet
Summary
Parents and community members asked the North Hunterdon‑Voorhees Regional High School District Board of Education on Oct. 28 to intervene after girls varsity soccer coaches announced they would not attend the season‑end banquet and administrators communicated that parents would be excluded.
Get email alerts on the School Sports topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Parents and community members asked the North Hunterdon‑Voorhees Regional High School District Board of Education on Oct. 28 to intervene after girls varsity soccer coaches announced they would not attend the season‑end banquet and administrators communicated that parents would be excluded.
At public comment, Carol Siodas of Clinton said the change was communicated to families by the booster club the night before and that administrators supported the decision. "This abrupt change is fully supported by the Department of Athletics and Administration," Siodas said, adding that the banquet historically has been a night when seniors are honored with family present.
Several other parents and former volunteers described what they called a pattern of poor communication and inconsistent practice scheduling this season. Valerie Chores said the decision felt "like a slap in the face" to players and parents who had organized fundraisers, planned senior night and prepared for the banquet. "The banquet is not just another event — it’s the culmination of an entire season of hard work, growth, and comradery," she said.
Jenny Allen, who has three teenagers in the district, described repeated last‑minute cancellations and a lack of notice that made it difficult for working parents to attend practices or games. "I deserve to know when I could see my daughter play," she said. Lisa Piper, a longtime volunteer who has coached in other sports, said she had received reports that players had been mistreated and said the program had become "toxic and dangerous for our players."
Speakers suggested possible compromises: allow coaches to present awards for a limited portion of the banquet, hold an awards‑only segment with coaches present, or have an administrator or other trusted adult hand out awards if coaches decline to attend. Several parents urged the board to permit parents to attend the banquet, or to hold the awards portion in a way that includes families.
Board President and administrators did not make an on‑the‑spot change but told speakers the district would acknowledge receipt of comments and said parents would receive follow‑up correspondence. Superintendent Dr. Borjax later confirmed the district would review the concerns and indicated the administrative office would follow up with parents on next steps.
The public comment period on the matter lasted for multiple speakers and more than a half hour; board members asked clarifying questions but did not take immediate formal action at the meeting. Parents said they wanted a transparent review and asked that administrators prioritize students’ recognition and community inclusion.
Provenance: The speakers’ remarks appear in the meeting transcript during the public comment segment beginning at 01:17:37 (transcript index starting at b_4619.4) and continuing through multiple speakers (last related public comment block at b_6614.715).

