Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the School Programs topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Revere officials rebut media claim that all city field trips were canceled
Summary
School leaders confirmed an overnight outdoors club trip is planned for February and said a report that all Revere field trips were canceled was false, urging careful planning given transportation and procurement costs.
Get email alerts on the School Programs topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Revere Public Schools told the School Committee on Nov. 18 that a media report claiming all field trips in the city were canceled was incorrect and that the district continues to plan and approve trips, including an overnight outdoor club trip to the White Mountains in New Hampshire planned for February.
Why it matters: The media claim prompted direct clarification from the district. Committee members discussed procurement and transportation costs, urging principals to coordinate with PTAs and instructional teams to plan trips that fit both instructional goals and tight elementary‑level budgets.
Chair Patrick Keefe, speaking from the dais, said he had personally responded to inquiries and pushed back on the media report, saying he did not recall the district ever adopting a blanket ban on trips and that the district has "a pretty robust schedule of field trips." Administrators said they had been contacted by a WBC reporter about an alleged citywide cancelation; staff “assured them that that wasn't true” and outlined alternatives such as locally based experiences and partnerships with community resources (for example, visits to the central fire station).
Next steps: Administrators encouraged principals to plan trips in advance, explore PTA support, and consider cost‑saving local options. The committee did not vote on policy changes at the Nov. 18 meeting.

