Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Childcare Support topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Baltimore approves $1M to Family League to subsidize childcare for families hit by federal shutdown

Board of Estimates · November 19, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The board approved a $1 million grant to the Family League of Baltimore to provide childcare subsidies retroactive to Nov. 1 for furloughed federal employees and eligible SNAP recipients, with awards up to $2,500 per month for up to two months.

The Board of Estimates on Nov. 19 approved a $1,000,000 grant agreement with the Family League of Baltimore to provide childcare subsidies to families affected by the federal government shutdown.

Dr. Deborah Brooks, executive director of the Mayor’s Office of Children and Family Success, said Mayor Scott allocated the funds from general revenue to ensure families who were furloughed or who receive SNAP benefits could maintain childcare and employment during the shutdown. She explained eligibility: applicants must show proof of furlough and childcare tuition, or SNAP eligibility, and at least three months prior enrollment at a licensed childcare provider.

Brooks said households can apply for up to $2,500 per month for two months to cover childcare costs and noted more than 700 constituents had already expressed interest. The grant term is retroactive to Nov. 1 and Family League is expected to disperse payments by Dec. 31, with closeout by Feb. 28.

Board members asked why Family League was selected; Brooks said Family League had previously administered similar subsidies during the pandemic, and officials also considered United Way but prioritized rapid distribution. The board moved, seconded and approved the item without recorded opposition.