Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Acw Superfund topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Residents urge Pensacola to accelerate cleanup and acquisition at American Creosote Works Superfund site
Summary
Residents said cleanup of the American Creosote Works Superfund site has stalled and asked the council to pursue acquisition of contaminated parcels, add contamination alerts to permitting, and require a public update and timeline; speakers cited health risks and long delays to remediation.
Get email alerts on the Acw Superfund topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Speakers from neighborhoods near the American Creosote Works (ACW) Superfund site urged the City Council on Oct. 23 to press for faster cleanup and greater transparency.
Taylor Smith described generations of families living beside known soil and groundwater contamination and said federal cleanup work had been promised for 2025 but "no visible progress has been made." He asked the city to consider acquiring remaining contaminated parcels to remove private barriers to remediation and to pursue bona fide prospective purchaser protections recommended by the EPA to limit city liability while enabling voluntary cleanup.
Madeline Copeland echoed those concerns and said some homeowners had not been informed of contamination risks at their properties; she urged the city to provide contamination warnings and safety guidance in permitting and to provide a public update and timeline for action.
Council members acknowledged the historical federal involvement and voiced support for additional engagement; one council member recalled prior congressional engagement but stopped short of committing city funds without additional staff input. No formal resolution or appropriation was made at the Oct. 23 meeting, but residents asked for follow-up from the city on acquisition options and permitting alerts.
