Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the School Governance topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Chicago board approves district takeover of High School for the Arts, adopts transition plan and funding for Epic Academy
Summary
The Chicago Board of Education voted Nov. 4 to establish the Chicago High School for the Arts as a district-managed school with amended language committing to preserve its conservatory model where practicable, and approved a charter-renewal package for Epic Academy that includes a transition plan and $1.4 million in FY26 funding for wind-down and student supports.
Get email alerts on the School Governance topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Chicago Board of Education on Nov. 4 approved a series of actions affecting the future of several arts and charter schools in the district.
In a unanimous roll call vote (20–0), the board adopted board report 25-11-04 EX2 to establish the Chicago High School for the Arts as a district-managed fine and performing arts school, including amended language that instructs the district to "preserve the conservatory to the greatest extent practicable," explore alternative financial strategies and partnerships to sustain the conservatory model, and conduct broader public engagement before revisiting conservatory funding in the January following completion of those outreach efforts. Board members who sponsored the amendment said the language was intended to buy time for community engagement and fundraising work.
Assistant board secretary read an earlier board report (EX1) describing termination of the existing contract and the planned wind-down of the current contract at the end of the 2025–26 school year, with operations ceasing as of July 1, 2026. The board approved that item by roll call earlier in the meeting (20–0).
Separately, the board took up unfinished business on Epic Academy’s charter renewal (board report 25-1030-EX1). After extended debate and multiple amendments, the board approved an amended renewal that requires the district’s chief portfolio officer to prepare a transition plan in consultation with Epic students, families and staff; to provide options intended to maximize stability and continuity for Epic families and qualified staff (including offering enrollment at district-run receiving schools and sharing information about open positions for which displaced staff may be eligible to apply); and to report to the board on implementation and status of enrollment and staff-retention activities no later than December 2025. The renewal also includes an allocation of $1,400,000 in additional FY26 funding to support a wind-down and completion of the academic year and a requirement that Epic return any unspent public funds or publicly purchased property consistent with charter terms.
Board members debated procedural motions including a failed effort to divide the question (which would have separated the transition plan language from the financial allocation). A roll call on that procedural motion failed 9–10 with two abstentions; the full amended renewal subsequently passed by roll call (20–0).
Board members and several union representatives emphasized the board’s stated goals of maximizing stability for students and protecting educator jobs where possible. Several speakers — including district staff, union leaders and parents — urged the district to preserve programmatic elements of the conservatory model and to prioritize community engagement and transparent decision-making as the district implements transitions.
For the record, the board noted statutory and procedural constraints, including deadlines for school-action announcements and review of district hiring and certification requirements. The final votes will be included in the agenda of action and the board president said the district will follow up publicly on implementation steps and timelines.

