Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Land Use Minor Subdivision topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Utah County delays vote on new minor‑subdivision rule after commissioners raise notice and oversight concerns

Utah County Commission · March 28, 2017
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Commissioners agreed to continue a proposed ordinance that would let two‑lot splits be handled administratively, citing questions about public notice, appeals and a five‑year anti‑piecemeal clause; the item was continued to April 18 for further revision.

The Utah County Commission on a routine agenda item agreed to postpone action on proposed changes to the county’s subdivision ordinance after commissioners pressed staff for more time to review notice, appeal and oversight language.

County staff described a draft that would expedite two‑lot (or fewer) subdivisions by allowing them to be processed administratively rather than routed to the planning commission or the Board of County Commissioners. Staff said the change would let the county engineer accept road dedications and warranty agreements and would consolidate review comments from public works, health and other departments so applicants receive a single set of required corrections.

The proposal also included a proposed five‑year limitation designed to deter piecemeal development by tying a waiting period to parcels that were previously split. Staff explained the intent was to prevent a sequence of two‑lot splits from producing a much larger development without full review.

Commissioners raised several concerns. One asked how affected neighbors would retain meaningful representation if the commission were removed from review, and whether an accelerated notice window would give adjacent owners enough time to learn about and respond to an application. Another commissioner questioned removing language tied to ‘‘good planning practice’’ and the striking of references to health, safety or welfare in parts of the draft.

Robert Moore, the county attorney, told the commission that the subdivision process is generally administrative: “If it meets the requirements, you really can't deny that,” he said, summarizing the legal constraint that limits discretionary denial of compliant applications.

After extended discussion about thresholds, notice timing and the proposed five‑year lock, a motion to continue the ordinance to the commission’s April 18 meeting carried; staff was instructed to return with revised text and clarifications on notice, appeals and how the administrative pathway would interact with larger scale development rules.

The commission also moved two closed‑session items from consent and set dates for closed meetings to discuss personnel and pending litigation.

What’s next: Staff will redline the draft, clarify how existing appeal routes (including the county’s Board of Adjustment) would apply, and provide a clearer definition of which subdivisions qualify for the administrative pathway before the April 18 meeting.