Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Municipal Administration topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

City reports cyberattack recovered in 72 hours, approves warrants and consent calendar; residential street project to start

Los Alamitos City Council · October 22, 2024
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

City Manager Simmons reported critical systems were restored within 72 hours after a cyberattack; Director Ron Noda outlined a roughly $2 million residential street project starting later this week aimed to finish before Thanksgiving. The council approved warrants (3‑yes, 1‑no, 1 absent) and the consent calendar and recessed to closed session with no reportable action.

City staff briefed the Los Alamitos City Council on a recent cyberattack response and upcoming public‑works work on Oct. 21, and the council approved warrants and the consent calendar.

City Manager Simmons said the city experienced a cyberattack earlier in the week but restored all critical systems within 72 hours after isolating affected accounts and taking systems offline to protect other services. "Within minutes of our team recognizing a larger volume of traffic than normal, they were able to quickly shut down and isolate accounts," Simmons said, and credited prior council‑funded audits that strengthened internal security.

Ron Noda, director of development services, highlighted a citywide residential street project with an approximate budget of $2,000,000 that will use slurry seal or grinding overlay on many residential streets. Noda said work could begin later that week or early the following week, with crews attempting to finish before the Thanksgiving holidays; residents should consult the city website and the MyLaSalle Engage platform for street‑specific schedules and expect 72‑hour no‑parking notices where work occurs.

On warrants, the council moved and seconded approval. Roll call recorded Mayor Nafolda, Mayor Pro Tem Hasselbrink and Council member Dobie voting aye; Council member Murphy withheld approval pending additional review and stated she would vote no; Council member Hibbert was absent. The mayor announced the motion passed. The consent calendar was approved by voice vote with no items pulled.

The council recessed into closed session on agenda item 13(a) and returned with "no reportable action taken," and adjourned at 7:23 p.m. in memory of Doug Wood, a longtime meeting producer.

Actions recorded at the meeting included approval of warrants and the consent calendar and moving a discussion item on electronic delivery of financial information to the November meeting.