Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Officer Involved Shooting topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

S.F. police chief updates commission on May 3 officer-involved shooting, says town hall and body-cam footage were released

San Francisco Police Commission · May 10, 2017
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Chief William Scott told the Police Commission the May 3 officer-involved shooting near the 900 block of Marcus Street is under multiagency review; the department released body-worn camera and private video and held a town hall to present facts to the public.

Chief William Scott updated the Police Commission on an officer-involved shooting that occurred May 3 near the 900 block of Marcus Street, saying one person who had been stabbed was transported for treatment and a second victim later died. Scott said the case is being investigated by SFPD Homicide and Internal Affairs, the San Francisco District Attorney’s Independent Investigations Bureau, the Department of Police Accountability and the Medical Examiner’s Office.

Scott said the department held a town hall May 10 and "we also released the body worn camera video, as well as the, private video that captured the officer involved shooting," and that the department released the involved officer’s name at that town hall. He described the town hall as consistent with a practice the department has used in recent years and called the seven-day interval between the incident and town hall a positive effort to get factual information out to the public.

In his weekly report Scott also summarized recent violent‑crime incidents and trends for commission members, including 21 homicides year‑to‑date, a small change from last year’s pace; nonfatal shooting victims were reported as 51 year‑to‑date versus 57 in 2016. Scott said SFPD has seized 391 firearms this year, a roughly 40 percent increase over the same point last year and noted the department is focusing enforcement in areas where retaliation is likely as one reason for the seizure increase.

Commissioners asked about the department’s Crisis Intervention Team (CIT) recognition ceremony and about why firearm seizures are up; Scott said the department had focused resources in specific areas at risk of retaliation and that part of the increase was also situational luck in being present when criminal acts occurred.

The chief listed upcoming department events and an awards ceremony recognizing officers who used de‑escalation and crisis‑intervention tactics. The commission did not take formal action on the shooting in open session; the item remains the subject of ongoing internal and independent investigation.