Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Pier27 topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Port Commission approves CEQA findings and contracts to build Pier 27 James R. Herman Cruise Terminal
Summary
The Port Commission voted to adopt CEQA findings and a mitigation monitoring program and approved contract amendments and funding increases to begin Phase 1 construction of the Pier 27 James R. Herman Cruise Terminal and Northeast Wharf Plaza, citing economic and maritime benefits.
Get email alerts on the Pier27 topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Port Commission on Dec. 16 adopted California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) findings and a Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program that clear the way for demolition and Phase 1 construction of the Pier 27 James R. Herman Cruise Terminal and its 2.5-acre Northeast Wharf Plaza.
Port maritime staff said the new single-berth terminal and public plaza will support larger cruise vessels, increase waterfront event and open-space capacity and generate local economic activity. Peter Dailey, Deputy Director of Maritime at the Port of San Francisco, told commissioners the industry contributes an estimated $40,000,000 annually to the region and that the new facility would improve passenger processing and support allied maritime businesses.
Port planning staff and consultants described updates in the final environmental review that reduce some project footprints and add new mitigation. Diane Oshima of the portplanning unit summarized the final EIR and the project variant adopted after public review; she highlighted new air-quality mitigation measures and a provision to keep a portion of a pier tip open to the public on non-cruise days.
Kim Von Blahn, the port project director, outlined funding and contract actions before the commission. Port staff requested: a third amendment to the memorandum of understanding with the San Francisco Department of Public Works to increase funding to $7,778,267 for Phase 1 construction administration services; an amendment to the design team contract to add construction administration services and increase that contract to $8,888,292 (including a $285,000 contingency); and an amendment to the construction manager/general contractor contract to increase the authorization for Phase 1 subcontract packages and contingency authority.
Speakers from industry and labor strongly supported moving forward. Representatives from BAE Systems Ship Repair, the San Francisco Bar Pilots, the Chamber of Commerce, and several longshore and maritime unions told commissioners the terminal would preserve and create jobs and strengthen the Port—s maritime capacity.
Legal counsel advised the commission that there was no properly filed appeal that would prevent the port from acting. The commission voted to approve Resolutions 11-75 through 11-78, authorizing the CEQA findings and the contract and funding actions needed to proceed into Phase 1 construction.
The port staff said Phase 1 construction will be funded from a mix of waterfront condominium sale proceeds, previously issued port revenue bonds, future debt and other sources identified in staff materials. Staff also reported a schedule oriented to allow use of the facilities for America's Cup events in 2013 and to return shore-power systems to service for subsequent cruise seasons. The commission directed staff to return with any required follow-up financial documentation and reporting.
