Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Child Nutrition topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Nutrition services reports financial health, high meal participation and warns funding could change after November ballots
Summary
Director of Nutrition Services Monica Dines Henderson reported the child nutrition program served more than 342,000 breakfasts and roughly 10,000 lunches per day on average last year, generated nearly $8.0 million in revenue (net ~$241,000), had zero critical federal findings, and warned that two state ballot measures in November could alter free‑meals funding after December.
Get email alerts on the Child Nutrition topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Monica Dines Henderson, director of Nutrition Services, gave the department's annual update at the Aug. 14 board meeting and summarized program operations, compliance and finances. She said the nutrition program is a USDA‑regulated special revenue fund that prepares meals at 22 sites, serves 24 district sites and transports to two charter schools. "Last year, we served 342,000 plus breakfasts" and the program averages nearly 10,000 lunches a day, she said.
On finances, Henderson reported nearly $8.0 million in revenue and roughly $7.5 million in expenditures last year, producing a net of about $241,000 before indirect cost recovery. She told directors the department had zero critical findings in the federal administrative review and two technical assistance findings that did not threaten funding. Henderson also described program rules (e.g., commercial equipment requirements and three‑to‑six‑month fund balance norms) and noted the child nutrition program contributed $411,000 to the district general fund through indirect cost recovery.
Henderson discussed current state funding for free meals: Colorado voters approved an initiative expanding free meals, and the state has been reimbursing meals for non‑qualified students at the federal reimbursement rate. However, she said legislators have identified a $54 million shortfall this year and that two ballot measures in November will ask taxpayers to determine ongoing funding; if measures fail the program could be modified or end Dec. 31. Henderson and the superintendent urged families likely to qualify for free/reduced price meals to complete applications so benefits and waivers tied to eligibility remain available.

