Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Safety topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Council hears DPW and police reports on tornado response, outages and staffing

Village of Saint Charles Council · June 12, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

DPW detailed tornado cleanup, generator use and utility repairs; police reported 55 incidents last month, multiple arrests, frauds and an average in‑village response time of 3.8 minutes compared with a 23.69‑minute average for the county during April 1–May 19.

Public‑works staff described two months of tornado cleanup and routine maintenance: hauling wood chips, placing and filling flower pots uptown, patching streets, jetting a clogged drain at the t‑ball field, repairing pumps at the Walnut Street sewer station, and working on water‑system restorations. Staff said generators ran at water and sewer sites during power outages and that Mission Control outage forced manual operations for several days.

Police Chief reported 55 total reports for the month, including several assisted calls, two arrests tied to an assault and a domestic incident, and fraud and identity‑theft cases that increased in the aftermath of the storm. The chief presented response‑time comparisons for April 1–May 19: the village's average response time to calls handled by the village department was 3.8 minutes; the Saginaw County Sheriff's Office recorded an average of 23.69 minutes for calls in the village during the same period. The chief cited those numbers to support maintaining current staffing levels and described delays in activating new hires caused by a personal‑history check process through NCOLES (a multi‑step background/investigation system).

Councilors asked about coverage, shift patterns and activation timelines for recent hires; the chief said some hires remain unactivated while state processes are completed. No formal staffing changes were proposed at the meeting.