Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Youth Programs topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Rancho Santa Margarita officials say talks with Boys and Girls Clubs failed; parents demand replacement programs
Summary
City staff reported that negotiations with the Boys and Girls Clubs of Capistrano Valley ended without an agreement; staff say they offered a two-year $100,000-per-year deal plus $100,000 in relocation assistance and a status-quo $120,000 multiyear offer the club declined. Parents urged the council to find replacements during public comment.
Get email alerts on the Youth Programs topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
City staff told the Rancho Santa Margarita City Council that negotiations with the Boys and Girls Clubs of Capistrano Valley collapsed and the club will end services at the Bell Tower this summer after rejecting city offers, staff said.
The city manager's report, delivered as a status update, said the club has operated at the Bell Tower cumulatively since 2012 and that the city has paid more than $1.2 million for those services while providing the facility at no charge (a combined value the report described as close to $2 million). Staff said the current agreement had been set to expire July 13 and that, following discussions, the club informed staff it intended to terminate services at the end of the contract period and vacate the Bell Tower by Aug. 13.
According to the presentation, staff made multiple offers during negotiations. The report says the city offered a two-year agreement at $100,000 per year plus $100,000 toward relocation assistance (described in the report as a $300,000 package in total) and also offered a multiyear status-quo proposal at $120,000 per year. The city reported the club rejected those offers and did not provide a counterproposal.
Parents and community members reacted strongly during a public-comment block that followed the report. "The city is unwilling to spend money on our kids and parents of our community who need this program," said Christie Acuna, who told the council the club "kept kids fed and safe." Other speakers said the program was the only affordable option for many families and warned middle-school students would be left without after-school programming in the area if the club closes.
Council members pressed staff for clarity. Council member Barrett said after-school enrichment programs "are essential" and that the city's contribution of $120,000 had not increased in more than a decade. Council member Holloway and others said they were unclear why the club did not submit counteroffers or request an extended transition period and said the relocation proposal (raised during negotiations) surprised some council members.
City staff said they had requested comparison data from the club showing costs and attendance at other locations to evaluate parity among cities; staff said those comparisons were not provided. Staff also told the council it would prepare alternative programming proposals from the community services department and present those options for council consideration during the budget development process.
No council vote or formal action was taken on the report. The city manager characterized the item as a status report; staff said the current contract will expire as stated and that a one-month extension was accommodated (through Aug. 13) to allow the club to finish the summer program.
The council did not adopt a motion tonight to fund or replace the club; staff said next steps would be a council consideration of programming and budget decisions during upcoming budget study sessions.
