Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Master Plan Zoning topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Residents urge Royal Oak commissioners to restore single‑family protections in draft Master Plan
Summary
Dozens of residents and former planning officials urged the Royal Oak City Commission to reject or revise the draft Master Plan’s shift from a ‘single‑family’ category to broader ‘neighborhood residential’ designations, citing concerns about compatibility, public input and traffic impacts from projects such as a proposed Sheetz site.
Get email alerts on the Master Plan Zoning topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Dozens of residents told the Royal Oak City Commission on April 14 that the draft Master Plan 2050 removes long‑standing single‑family protections and risks allowing higher‑density housing throughout neighborhoods.
An unidentified public commenter asked the commission “to not approve the master plan as is,” saying the plan replaces single‑family zoning with the catchall term “neighborhood residential,” which the speaker said would allow duplexes, apartments and accessory dwelling units where single‑family homes now stand. The commenter called the planning consultant’s work and the planning commission vote evidence that the process favored a predetermined outcome rather than residents’ wishes.
Tom Hallock, a former city commissioner and nine‑year chair of the planning commission, told the commission the draft lacks supporting studies and accused the consultant of being hired to promote elimination of single‑family zoning: “The first thing they did was get rid of single family,” he said, urging the body to reconsider the scope of changes.
Other residents raised related concerns. Diane Sevelda pressed the commission to consider traffic and safety implications for a proposed Sheetz at the 14/ Coolidge area, noting that city engineers had reportedly expressed reservations. Greg Pendergrass urged the city to notify all residents if their properties may be rezoned under the new future land‑use map, and reminded the audience that mayoral and three commissioner seats will be on the ballot Nov. 4, 2025.
Laura Burge, speaking about a separate parks issue, told commissioners she has advocated for five years to preserve playground equipment at Lachman Park and requested the city find roughly $22,000 (an earlier estimate) to replace removed swings; she said the city’s budget and CDBG funding constraints had been cited as a barrier.
Commissioners responded to public comment by describing the broader public‑engagement methods they use, including surveys and meeting minutes, and stressed that state statute and other formal inputs shape decisions. Mayor Forde (as recorded) closed public comment and urged residents to use the agenda and minutes search functions for background materials.
What’s next: The Master Plan item was on the commission agenda for consideration; public commenters asked for slower implementation, clearer notification to impacted property owners, and a moratorium on new builds tied to upcoming zoning changes. The commission did not adopt any zoning amendments at this meeting; residents seeking formal changes to the plan or zoning were advised to monitor future agendas and the city’s public‑notice materials.

