Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Homicide Investigation topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Families of Hayes Valley victims urge SFPD action as months pass with no arrests

San Francisco Police Commission · September 9, 2015
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

At the Sept. 9 Police Commission meeting family members and community advocates demanded prioritization and updates on a January Hayes Valley quadruple homicide, saying nearly nine months later no arrests have been made and urging additional investigative resources.

Family members of four young men killed in a Hayes Valley ambush addressed the Police Commission on Sept. 9 to press for more aggressive investigative action and greater communication from law enforcement.

Kanika Lamon Jones told the commission she had taught many of the victims and described the killings as personal to the community. Sala Hakuya (identified in the record) said the group has found leads while canvassing Hayes Valley and that nearly nine months after the January killings there had been no arrests and no reward offered. "For 8 months close to 9 months there has been no arrest," she said, and she urged the chief and mayor to provide further resources, including private investigators where appropriate.

Chief of Police (identified in-roll as Gregory P.) responded that the homicide is a priority for the department, that leads have been pursued and that investigators were coordinating with partners. He cautioned that making an arrest without sufficient evidence would not be in the best interest of the case and said he had spoken with supervisory staff and with Mayor Breed about the investigation. "It is a huge priority for me," the chief said.

Community members, including other public commenters, reiterated frustration at the pace of progress and encouraged greater outreach and coordination with the FBI and other partners. Commissioners and staff provided the anonymous tip line number for the public and asked staff to continue engagement with families and to update the commission as appropriate.

No new public-action item or vote was taken at the meeting on this case; the chief said investigators would continue active work and that announcements would be made when the department could do so without jeopardizing the investigation.