Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Hospital Closure topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Dozens of staff, patients and families urge commission to block St. Luke27s subacute and SNF closure

San Francisco Health Commission · June 20, 2017
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Multiple St. Luke27s staff, union representatives, patients and family members told the health commission the hospital accelerated closure plans, leaving workers with layoff notices and patients uncertain where they will be transferred; speakers asked the commission to use Prop Q hearings and other authority to protect services.

At the start of general public comment the commission heard an extended series of statements from St. Luke27s employees, union representatives and families urging the department and commissioners to intervene after notices that subacute and skilled nursing units would close by October. Rebecca Miller of SEIU UnitedHealthcare Workers West said her union represents 309 workers, 72 had received layoff notices, and 44 patient beds had been discharged: "We represent 309 workers. 72 of them have been already issued layoff notices and 44 patients' beds have been discharged," she told the commission.

Nurses and licensed vocational nurses described surprise at rapid closure notices, missing transition plans for vulnerable patients and assurances given in earlier agreements. Maria Regalado, a registered nurse of 35 years at St. Luke27s, said management provided short meetings and subsequent certified letters notifying staff of eliminated positions and an accelerated closure date. Multiple speakers described packets left at bedside without clear transfer plans; family members said many receiving care have tracheostomies or feeding tubes and argued transfers out of city would sever essential family support.

Labor and advocacy framing: Ruben Garcia, a California Nurses Association labor representative, framed the decision as a corporate profit choice by Sutter/CPMC and urged commissioners to oppose the closure and participate in the upcoming Prop Q hearings. "Why are they closing SuperCute and the SNF facility? Because of greed," Garcia said, calling for collective action and attendance at the Prop Q hearings.

Why it matters: Commenters emphasized that St. Luke27s subacute unit provides services not available elsewhere in the city and that moving long-term, medically complex patients outside San Francisco would disrupt family support, continuity of care and rehabilitation outcomes. Commissioners noted Prop Q hearings were scheduled (Aug. 15 and Sept. 5) and reminded the public that the commission will not respond to public comment in detail but will take up the matter at scheduled hearings.

Next steps and context: The chair reminded the public that the Prop Q process is the formal hearing route to examine whether proposed actions will have a detrimental impact on health care services in the community. Speakers were encouraged to present further testimony at the scheduled Prop Q hearings and to provide documentation to the commission.