Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Firearm Storage topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
San Francisco committee continues ordinance to ban leaving firearms in unattended vehicles pending law‑enforcement meet‑and‑confer
Summary
The Public Safety and Neighborhood Services Committee on Dec. 11 heard public comment and agreed to continue Supervisor David Campos’s ordinance that would require locked storage of firearms in unattended vehicles while staff completes meet‑and‑confer with law enforcement; the item will be continued to the call of the chair, with a target to resume in January.
Get email alerts on the Firearm Storage topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Public Safety and Neighborhood Services Committee of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors on Dec. 11 opened public comment and then continued an ordinance sponsored by Supervisor David Campos that would amend the police code to prohibit leaving a firearm in an unattended motor vehicle unless it is stored in a lockbox or a locked trunk.
Campos, the ordinance sponsor, said the draft had been broadened from an earlier version focused on law‑enforcement personnel to apply to all gun owners in the City and County of San Francisco and emphasized the goal was to “keep these guns from ending up in the wrong hands.” He told the committee that state labor‑management meet‑and‑confer obligations required the City to consult with law‑enforcement representatives before the measure could proceed to a full board vote; he therefore moved to continue the item to the call of the chair so that the meet‑and‑confer process could be completed.
Public comment included an emotional appeal from a speaker identified in the record as Miss Brown, who said her son was shot with a semi‑automatic weapon and urged officials to make police accountable and to keep cases open so families receive justice. Another member of the public questioned practical aspects of the proposed storage rules, saying certain permanently affixed lockboxes might not fit under vehicle seats and could be unworkable for people who travel to shooting ranges or hunting.
After hearing public comment and questions, the committee accepted Supervisor Campos’s motion to continue the item to the call of the chair so staff could complete required consultations; the motion was moved and carried "without objection." No formal board vote on the ordinance occurred at the meeting.
Next steps: the chair and staff will complete the meet‑and‑confer process with law‑enforcement stakeholders and the item is expected to be scheduled again after those consultations, with sponsors indicating they expect to resume consideration in January.
