Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Permit Security topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Entertainment Commission amends Beauty Bar permit after November violent incident; staff proposes nine new conditions

San Francisco Entertainment Commission · December 17, 2019
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

After a November violent incident outside Beauty Bar (2299 Mission St.), the Entertainment Commission replaced decades-old permit language with staff-recommended security and operational conditions, retaining a requirement for at least one manager and a sound technician during live or DJ entertainment. The action passed unanimously.

The San Francisco Entertainment Commission voted unanimously to amend the place-of-entertainment permit for Beauty Bar, 2299 Mission Street, adopting a package of staff-recommended security and operational conditions after a violent incident outside the venue in November prompted a joint review by SFPD Mission Station and commission staff.

Staff told commissioners the venue held an active police-issued POE permit from 1998 that lacked a current security plan and that, on review, much of the permit language was outdated. The commission voted to delete the older permit conditions except for condition 1(e) — which requires at least one manager and a sound technician to be on-site during all hours of live or DJ entertainment — and to adopt the nine proposed conditions read into the record by staff.

The conditions read into the record include monthly event-calendar notification to SFPD Mission Station and the commission; a San Francisco Fire Department occupancy limit of 49; three exterior and two interior security cameras with 30-day retention and access to footage on request by the Police Department; security teams with required guard credentials; pat-downs and bag checks on entry and reentry; a log of removed patrons and indefinite prohibition on reentry; mandatory ID verification and metal-detector-wand screening on entry; a prohibition on third-party promoters; and a requirement to call 911 for any altercation inside the premises or within 100 feet.

Lieutenant Chris Canning of Mission Station, who participated in the post-incident review, told the commission the process was collaborative and constructive. "This was a very positive collaborative experience," he said, adding that ownership and management had been responsive to police and staff recommendations.

Owner Aaron Burrs told the commission he and his management team "are absolutely capable of... following all the new rules," and said they appreciated the collaborative process. Commissioners debated minor wording edits (for example clarifying that security personnel must possess guard cards) but agreed the proposed package was appropriate for the venue's circumstances.

The motion to adopt the amended permit conditions was seconded and carried on a roll-call voice vote with Commissioners Perez, Thomas, Vice President Camino, President Bridal/Blayman, Commissioner Lee and Commissioner Fausson/Falzon recorded as "aye." The acting director was asked to follow up with the permit holder on next steps.

The commission highlighted this item as an example where coordination between police, staff and a responsive operator produced a set of conditions intended to reduce future incidents while keeping the venue open.