Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Loudspeaker Permits topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Commission grants one outdoor loudspeaker permit for Club Kokomo and delays others amid Bayview opposition

San Francisco Entertainment Commission · May 7, 2013
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

After Bayview Station urged denial over repeated neighborhood complaints, the commission approved a single outdoor loudspeaker permit for Memorial Day weekend with conditions used successfully last year and continued the remaining applications pending improved outreach and a compliance check.

San Francisco — The Entertainment Commission faced a contentious hearing over outdoor loudspeaker permits for Club Kokomo / Sunset Sound after Bayview Station recommended denial, citing dozens of recent calls for service and multiple noise complaints tied to the venue.

Club representatives described outreach efforts, limiter settings and a prior successful event in October; they requested two holiday permits (May 26 and Sept. 1) and said they planned additional Second Sunday and summer events. Lieutenant Laura Knight of Bayview Station and Captain Sullivan asked the commission to deny both permits, saying outreach was insufficient and the venue has a long history of calls for service.

After hours of testimony, commissioners approved the May 26 permit with the same conditions and sound-profile requirements used the previous year, directed staff to require a live sound check/limiter verification, and continued the Sept. 1 permit and any additional loudspeaker applications until the commission reviews outreach outcomes and the venue’s compliance record. Bayview Station requested that the venue provide better neighborhood notifications and coordinate proactively with police about upcoming events.

Commissioners said the decision balanced public-safety and neighborhood concerns against a limited daytime holiday event, and required the venue to return to the commission in about a month for a follow-up review.