Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Safety Enforcement topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Police and inspectors report fights at nightclub, armory event security shortfalls and continued monitoring of problem premises
Summary
SFPD and commission inspectors briefed the Entertainment Commission on incidents at multiple permitted venues, including an Aug. 10 fight at Atmosphere that injured officers, security staffing concerns at a large Armory event and repeated calls for service to Club Malibu; police urged monitoring and engagement with operators rather than immediate Commission action.
Get email alerts on the Public Safety Enforcement topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Commission staff and SFPD provided an enforcement briefing that described recent violent incidents and operational weaknesses at a number of permitted venues.
Inspector Polly told commissioners about a large fight at a Mission nightclub (identified in the police report as Atmospheric/447 Broadway) on the weekend of Aug. 10 that resulted in several arrests and injuries to officers; staff met with the operator and Central Station to discuss contingency planning and follow-up security measures. She also described sidewalk and pedestrian-safety concerns near May's Oyster Bar and ongoing noise complaints at multiple clubs that staff continue to monitor.
Inspector Sean Burke said he had been conducting a project to update older mechanical-amusement-device permits transferred from the police department and had visited many historic venues to confirm equipment and contact information; he issued a notice for repeat noncompliance at one premises that failed to address ventilation/heat issues.
Lieutenant Ed Santos of the Police Department’s ABC liaison unit reported detailed calls-for-service at problem locations. He said the Aug. 10 incident at Atmospheric was under investigation but that SFPD had already opened discussions with the operator; he also cited multiple prior reports and emphasized the department’s preference to monitor operators and encourage voluntary changes before asking the Entertainment Commission to initiate formal enforcement. Officer Robert Ruweka (Ingleside Station) told the commission a CAD query showed 17 calls for service since May 21 for a single location, nine of them noise complaints, and warned the pattern could create a public nuisance if left unaddressed.
Police did not request immediate commission sanctions in the briefings presented but repeatedly noted that suspension or revocation remains an option if operators fail to change practices. Commissioners asked about training and server certification, breathalyzer practice for public-intoxication arrests, and how to collect data on over-service; police explained that breath testing is not routinely done for public-intoxication arrests absent a vehicle operation context and that staff will continue education and enforcement outreach.
