Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Public Safety Nightlife topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Police tell commission party-bus delays, overserving and occasional illegal-nightclub activity are driving incidents on Broadway

San Francisco Entertainment Commission · February 18, 2014
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Central Station officers reported multiple incidents including a Feb. 4 battery at Cafe Royale, violations for after-2 a.m. operations, recurring party-bus congestion that left a last bus departing at 02:40, and continuing work to prevent illegal nightclubs; officers urged better planning with bus companies and lead-training for venue staff.

Officer Steve Matthias of Central Station and the commission's operations staff gave a public-safety briefing that focused on a cluster of nightlife-related incidents and enforcement priorities.

Matthias summarized several recent calls: a Feb. 4 battery at Cafe Royale in which a patron sustained a concussion and other injuries; reports that some patrons were overserved; and two administrative violations issued to Lucky Dogs (continued operation after 2 a.m.) and the Performance Arts Institute (operating after 2 a.m. and alcohol consumption). He said bar staff and security generally cooperated with police in providing video evidence, and he recommended lead-server training for employees at establishments with recent incidents.

A major point of discussion was party-bus activity on Broadway. Staff reported heavy sidewalk congestion after large events and said that although a plan had called for the last bus pickup around 01:40 a.m., the final bus left at about 02:40 a.m. on the reported night, leaving patrons crowded on sidewalks and creating risk and policing strains. Matthias and other officers urged venues to coordinate directly with bus companies so drop-off and pickup windows are staged and supported by adequate security.

The report also flagged intermittent illegal-nightclub operations at certain locations; officers said complaints had continued, that city code enforcement and the city attorney had been contacted, and that police would continue to work with property owners when illegal activity recurred.

Why it matters: the briefing ties public-safety incidents to operational issues at nightlife venues (overserving, late departures, uncoordinated party buses), and it suggests near-term enforcement and training steps for operators and the commission to consider.

Next steps: staff will continue to work with venues, bus companies and the violence-reduction team to refine pick-up/drop-off plans and encourage lead-server training for staff at higher-risk establishments.