Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Incident Response topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

San Francisco fire officials detail five-alarm Mission Street blaze that displaced about 60 residents

San Francisco Fire Commission · June 22, 2016
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Assistant Chief Saragusa briefed the Fire Commission on a five-alarm fire near 3300 Mission Street: rapid escalation from first alarm to fifth alarm, roughly 22 engines and 8 truck companies deployed, preliminary property loss estimated at $9 million and about 60 occupants displaced; department and other city agencies are coordinating shelter, demolition and resident support.

Assistant Chief Saragusa gave a preliminary incident report to the Fire Commission on June 22 about a five-alarm fire that began at about 14:19 at or near 3312 Mission Street.

"Preliminary estimate on property loss is $9,000,000. Displaced occupants are approximately 60," Saragusa said, and described a rapid escalation in fire conditions that required successive alarm increases and eventually defensive exterior operations because of wind-driven smoke and fire spread.

Saragusa said the departments response included approximately 22 engine companies, eight truck companies, both rescue squads, multiple battalion chiefs and specialized units, for roughly 160 personnel (about half of the on-duty staff) assigned at peak. He described field challenges including hazardous materials exposures from a hardware store (propane cylinders, paint cans) and significant water runoff that required coordination with sewer and water agencies and Department of Public Health air monitoring.

Commissioners pressed for updates on building status and tenant assistance. Fire department and plan-review staff said some buildings had been red-tagged and the Department of Building Inspection (DBI) was handling structural decisions; DBI planned emergency demolition of two buildings in the days following the incident. Chiefs and commissioners also emphasized that displaced residents needed a clear, on-site information presence. The department said it had established a collection point in a nearby Safeway parking lot with the Red Cross and other city agencies and scheduled a follow-up community meeting with the mayors office and DBI.

The presentation was described as a preliminary factual report; the department said a fuller incident report would be prepared and circulated in the coming weeks.