Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Cop Outreach topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
OCII extends outreach contract to locate displaced households; LINCS/NCLF phase 2 funded
Summary
Commission authorized a $75,000 amendment to continue investigative outreach to locate people displaced by past redevelopment, consolidating initial phase results and funding further work to confirm contact information for hundreds of Certificate of Preference holders and descendants.
Get email alerts on the Cop Outreach topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Office of Community Investment and Infrastructure on Jan. 16 authorized a six-month amendment to a personal services contract with Links, Insights & Investigations (LINCS) and New Community Leadership Foundation (NCLF) to continue locating and confirming contact information for people displaced by redevelopment in the Western Addition and Hunters Point.
Pam Sims and partners from LINCS/NCLF presented results from an earlier phase of work: investigators located contact information for roughly 3,025 displaced people and 617 descendants, and cataloged approximately 2,358 deceased records. Presenters described investigative methods — bulk database searches, genealogical research and family-network outreach — and the emotional sensitivity of contacting descendants and family members about displacement decades later.
Majid Crawford of NCLF said the investigative process is community-driven and that investigators have already helped some families apply for certificates and housing referrals. Giles Miller of LINCS described the workflow and explained why many records still require one-off, genealogical work to resolve multiple leads.
The requested $75,000 phase‑2 amendment will let LINCS resume investigative work on roughly 2,124 records where investigative leads were identified but funding previously ran out; staff estimated the extension could uncover contact information for between 800 and 1,200 displaced people and several hundred descendants over six months. Commissioners and public speakers applauded the work and urged additional resources and expanded outreach, noting many displaced people live outside the Bay Area.
The commission approved the amendment by roll-call vote (5 ayes). Staff said findings from phase 2 will be presented to OCII and MOHCD in June/July and back to the commission in July/August, and that additional funding and a broader marketing plan are anticipated in the next fiscal year.
