Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Power Outage topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Mission Bay transmission‑line strike disrupted power to about 22,000 customers; city says most service restored

San Francisco Disaster Council · September 20, 2019
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

City emergency managers told the Disaster Council a third‑party contractor struck a primary transmission line in Mission Bay around 8 a.m., initially affecting over 22,000 customers; about 1,800 remained without power as of 11 a.m. and city incident teams coordinated with PG&E to restore service and assess impacts.

Unidentified speaker told the Disaster Council that a third‑party contractor struck a primary transmission line in the Mission Bay area around 8 a.m., producing initial reports that more than 22,000 customers lost power. By about 11 a.m., the speaker said, “almost everyone is restored” while “there's still about 1,800 folks without power.”

The speaker said the department’s incident management team activated within minutes of the outage and coordinated city departments — public health (DPH), hospitals, public safety and MTA — and was working with PG&E to monitor restoration. The speaker framed the event as a live test of preparedness efforts the city has undertaken in response to PG&E’s public safety power shutoff program.

The Council heard that city responders performed rapid assessments of hospitals and transportation systems and that ongoing monitoring would continue until service was fully restored. No formal requests for mutual aid or emergency declarations were reported during the meeting.

The council chair opened the meeting for public comment on the outage and related items and, when none were offered at that moment, moved on to the next agenda item. The meeting later closed with an announcement that power had been fully restored.

What happens next: the Disaster Council will continue preparedness work tied to public safety power shutoffs and scheduled follow‑up workshops with PG&E to review the impacts and lessons learned.