Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Budget topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
SFUSD superintendent warns of steep state budget cuts, urges community advocacy
Summary
Superintendent Garcia told the board the governor's midyear proposal could force a $15.3 million midyear cut and an additional ~$22.3 million next year for SFUSD, and urged parents and community members to press state leaders and preserve local rainy‑day funds that aided the district last year.
Get email alerts on the Budget topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Superintendent Garcia used his Jan. 13 report to the Board of Education to translate state budget headlines into local impact figures and to urge public advocacy.
Garcia said the governor's midyear proposal could require the district to absorb a $15.3 million cut this fiscal year and that next year’s proposal could result in about $22.3 million more in reductions. He warned that prolonged delay in state budget resolution would worsen the district’s fiscal outlook and could imperil bond matching and planned capital work.
Garcia also cautioned against proposals to shorten the school year from 180 to 175 days, calling it "completely unacceptable" and urging the community to oppose measures that reduce instructional time. He credited the district's conservative budget adopted in the prior year and a municipal 'rainy‑day' fund allocation that had allowed the district to avert roughly 530 proposed layoffs previously.
He asked community members to contact the governor’s office and local supervisors to insist on timely solutions for the state budget and to preserve the district’s 25 percent share of the city rainy‑day fund. Board members echoed Garcia’s call to advocacy and to continue monitoring state developments.
This was an informational report; no action was taken at the meeting.
