Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Rcfe Conversion topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Commission pauses decision on conversion of former care home pending broader review of residential‑care trends
Summary
Facing testimony that San Francisco has lost licensed residential care beds, the Planning Commission continued a conditional‑use request to convert a vacant care facility at 2277‑30 Third Ave to a single‑family home to Nov. 2 to allow departments to provide data on RCFE trends and potential protections. Vote: 6–1.
Get email alerts on the Rcfe Conversion topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Planning Commission voted on Sept. 28 to continue consideration of a conditional use authorization to convert a vacant residential care facility at 2277‑30 Third Avenue into a single‑family dwelling until Nov. 2.
Planning staff presented background: the property previously operated as a licensed residential care facility (RCFE) and the new owner undertook interior renovations and partial demolition after building permits were issued in 2021. When the operator forfeited the facility license in 2021, the care operation ended and the owners began a conversion process; staff said the owners halted work after learning of a new CUA requirement for conversions.
Supervisor Connie Chan’s office and several speakers, including Annie Chong of Self Help for the Elderly, asked the commission to postpone action so city departments could provide data on the number of licensed RCFE beds within a one‑mile radius and on the broader citywide trend. Self Help for the Elderly supplied statistics describing a significant decline in licensed RCFEs over recent years and said it had tried—but been unable—to purchase and operate the property under city funding because of cost and demolition status.
Commissioners discussed the policy tradeoffs: Commissioner Diamond argued that forcing property owners to retain an RCFE use may not address the underlying economic challenges of operating such facilities; Commissioner Moore and others pressed for more information to assess the local bed loss and possible policy remedies. After debate, the commission approved a continuance to Nov. 2, 2023, to give Supervisor Chan’s requested information time to arrive and allow follow‑up with relevant city agencies.
