Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Illegal Demolition topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Neighbors accuse property owners of illegal demolition at First Street; commission grapples with evidence and next steps

San Francisco Planning Commission · September 19, 2019
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Neighbors and a displaced tenant told the Planning Commission that two rental units at 4118½ First Street were removed without proper process; the sponsor says dry‑rot replacement and contractor actions caused inadvertent deconstruction. Commissioners debated motions to disapprove and to continue; no conclusive approval was recorded and the matter remained unresolved.

Neighbors and former tenants told the Planning Commission on Thursday that the structure at 4118½ First Street was effectively demolished without the required approvals and that at least one affordable rental unit was removed from the housing stock.

Multiple neighbors presented evidence including a 2002 appraisal and historic records indicating a building footprint in the 2,600–3,300 square‑foot range and tenant statements that an in‑law or lower unit was occupied on a long‑term basis. Neighbors said the change removed two rental units and displaced a long‑term tenant who had lived there for decades.

The applicant’s team acknowledged structural rot and said the work began under a permit for in‑kind replacement and interior remodeling. Sponsor representatives said building inspectors performed multiple site inspections and that the owners did not intend to demolish the building; the sponsor proposed scaled‑back replacement plans and the possibility of adding a unit within the reconstructed envelope.

Commissioners debated enforcement and process questions, with several members urging firm action to discourage incentives for unlawful demolition elsewhere. After deliberation the commission considered a motion to disapprove the conditional use authorization, but that motion tied in a 2–2 roll call and did not carry. A subsequent motion to continue the item to a later hearing also failed to reach majority. The minutes state the situation resulted in a “de facto disapproval” in the record, though the commission left open follow‑up actions for staff and the sponsor.

Throughout the hearing, neighbors pressed for clarity about the square footage and about whether permits had been used to effect an effective demolition. Planning staff cautioned that precise floor‑area comparisons can vary depending on what counts as livable area in different documents; staff said it would continue to review the documentary record and the sponsor’s revised plans.

The commission did not approve the applicant’s proposed replacement plan at that hearing. Commissioners asked staff to compile the record of permits, inspections and appraisals and to return with recommendations and possible enforcement or remedial options.