Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Wireless Facility Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Planning Commission approves AT&T upgrade at 4216 California Street with safety conditions
Summary
After hours of public testimony alleging flood and seismic risks, the Planning Commission approved AT&T’s conditional use permit for a rooftop upgrade at 4216 California St, adding conditions to seal battery storage, require DBI/fire review and continued design refinements; the motion passed 5–2.
Get email alerts on the Wireless Facility Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Planning Commission on June 6 approved AT&T’s conditional use permit to upgrade wireless facilities at 4216 California Street, but added conditions aimed at reducing safety and design risks raised repeatedly by neighbors and tenants.
What the permit would do: AT&T proposed converting an existing microcell installation into a macro facility with directional antennas and relocating equipment, including lead-acid backup batteries, to a ground-floor equipment room. AT&T said the upgrade would close a persistent coverage gap along California Street and that it performed an alternatives analysis.
Opposition and evidence: Tenants, neighbors and several technical witnesses urged denial or further review, presenting reports that said the building had flooded in 2006, that the building might be seismically vulnerable (soft‑story concerns) and that storing lead‑acid batteries at ground level in a flood-prone location could pose hazards (hydrogen gas, acid leaks, inhalation risks). Speakers included Dr. Michael Ma (tenant), geotechnical and hydrogeology experts whose reports were submitted to the record, and community members who said Dept. of Public Works maps had previously flagged the block as flood‑prone. Several asked for CEQA study rather than a categorical exemption.
Sponsor response and staff review: AT&T representatives (Teddi Berhaes and engineers) said they had submitted structural and hydrology reports; DPW later notified staff that the block was removed from their “area of interest” for flood concerns after sewer upgrades. AT&T said some rooftop equipment had been installed prior to finalizing permits and that the company would move specific equipment into the ground-floor room and work closely with DBI and SFFD plan checkers on safe installation and ventilation.
Commission action and conditions: Commissioners debated architectural impacts of a large roof screening structure and technical safety questions (seismic retrofit triggers, ventilation and fire resistance for battery storage). Commissioner Antonini moved to approve with conditions requiring: sealing the battery room to mitigate flood intrusion, DBI review and consideration of increased fire-rated enclosures to lengthen safe egress time, and that AT&T continue to work with staff on reducing the rooftop massing and screening design. The motion passed 5–2 with Commissioners Hillis and Moore voting no.
What this means: AT&T may proceed toward building permits, but final DBI and Fire Department approval is required for structural work, battery room details, and any fire/ventilation systems. The conditions aim to ensure technical plan checks address neighbors’ safety concerns before construction proceeds.
Representative quote: "We are happy to seal off that room," AT&T representative Teddi Berhaes said when asked whether the battery room could be made flood‑resistant; commissioners added that DBI and SFFD plan checks must verify technical compliance.
Next steps: AT&T must obtain building permits and demonstrate compliance with DBI and Fire Department requirements, and staff will track implementation of the conditions.
