Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Retail Licensing Pharmacy topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Board of Appeals to revisit rehearing request for proposed Turk Street pharmacy after extensive neighborhood testimony

San Francisco Board of Appeals · March 9, 2011
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The San Francisco Board of Appeals continued a rehearing request over the proposed Bay Drugs pharmacy at 281 Turk Street to March 23 after hours of public testimony from Tenderloin residents, service providers and elected officials citing drug‑market impacts and neighborhood safety; commissioners signaled concern but split on whether the rehearing standard (new facts/manifest injustice) was met.

The San Francisco Board of Appeals on March 9 continued consideration of a rehearing request for a proposed pharmacy at 281 Turk Street after lengthy public comment and debate over whether the petition meets the narrow legal standard for rehearing.

Housing Corp Incorporated and neighborhood advocates asked the board to reopen the case, arguing new and extraordinary circumstances — including renewed community organization and public‑safety evidence — and contesting the permit that the board previously left intact. David Wagner, representing the community requester, said the case is “about the very safety and well‑being of an entire community,” citing local service providers and elected officials' letters and testimony.

Supervisor Kim and multiple service‑provider representatives told commissioners the Tenderloin has persistent illegal pill sales near schools, senior centers and childcare providers and that a new pharmacy at Turk and Leavenworth would worsen those problems. Several speakers from Compass Children’s Center, Cross Cultural Family Center and tenant associations described daily encounters with drug sales and urged the board to grant a rehearing so community impacts can again be considered.

Counsel for the permit holder and other opponents countered that the board’s rehearing rule is narrow and requires new facts or manifest injustice; they argued much of the record and neighborhood concern were presented in earlier proceedings and that a vacated rehearing standard should not be met by new counsel or repeated testimony alone.

Several commissioners expressed sympathy for neighborhood safety concerns but also noted the legal threshold for a rehearing is high. After lengthy debate about prior continuances and procedural history — including whether continuances granted to the permit holder at earlier stages affected fairness — the board voted to continue the matter to March 23 to allow further settlement negotiations and to ensure a full complement of procedural options were available. The March 23 appearance will be limited to the rehearing question only, and staff said the record will be available for the absent commissioner to review.