Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Safety Streets topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Graham council approves neighborhood-managed street closures for Rogers Drive Halloween route
Summary
Council approved a request to close portions of Rogers Drive for Halloween after applicant Sarah Lundgren presented resident survey results; the police department said it cannot staff closures and the city placed responsibility for barricades and volunteer oversight on residents.
Get email alerts on the Public Safety Streets topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
The Graham City Council on a unanimous vote approved a neighborhood-requested street closure on Rogers Drive for Halloween, with the condition that residents take primary responsibility for barricades and staffing. The council heard an extended presentation and debate about public safety, volunteer staffing and emergency access before the motion passed.
Sarah Lundgren, the applicant, told the council she and a volunteer canvass found strong neighborhood support for the proposal and provided counts she said show heavy participation: "Two houses confirmed that they hand out 1,000 [pieces of candy] and another house confirmed 1,200," she said, and argued that "if the roads were closed at 3 proposed locations, this would allow [EMS] an opportunity to assess an emergency in a timely fashion." Lundgren said she would coordinate signage and outreach through social media and local media if the closure were approved.
Police Chief Bullock told the council the department lacks sufficient officers on that shift to staff the intersections: he said the department would be short-staffed the evening of the event and had already requested overtime help. Bullock confirmed the department could not guarantee officer presence at all barricade points and discussed alternatives such as unmanned barricades, marked city vehicles with lights, or limited volunteer coverage.
Council members and staff weighed liability and logistics. Some members pressed for physical signage or centrally located signs that slow traffic rather than fully manned closures; others supported the neighborhood-based approach given the department's staffing constraints. One council member emphasized that approval would not convert the event into a city‑sanctioned, fully city‑staffed operation, saying the closure would depend on "the residents' approval and their responsibility" to manage barricades and access.
After extensive discussion — including talk of using sandwich boards, temporary barricades, neighborhood volunteers and coordination with the city manager and police chief — a motion to permit the closure with the conditions described was made and seconded. The council voted in favor; no opposed votes were recorded. The council asked staff and the applicant to coordinate a plan for signage and volunteer placement and to ensure residents are informed of the council's conditions.
Next steps: the applicant will work with Chief Bullock and city staff to finalize barricade locations, signage and volunteer plans before Oct. 31.
