Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Health Funding topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Butte County public health warns of staff impacts after unexpected federal ELC funding termination
Summary
County public health leaders said an Early Local Health (ELC) COVID funding stream was terminated effective immediately, affecting about 6.5 FTEs; the county is monitoring a lawsuit and a temporary restraining order and is evaluating use of realignment funds to preserve services.
Get email alerts on the Public Health Funding topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
County public health officials told the Board of Supervisors on April 8 that an unexpected termination of supplemental federal ELC COVID funding will reduce resources that had been used to expand lab and disease-investigation capacity.
Monica Soderstrom, Butte County public health director, said the ELC funding supported the equivalent of about 6.5 full‑time equivalents that had been added or supplemented during the COVID response. She said the county "received a notice of termination for those extra funds and it was effective the day before," leaving departments to reassign duties and evaluate options to preserve core services using realignment funds where possible. Soderstrom said the county has not yet notified employees that positions will end and that staff are monitoring related state legal actions; she noted the State Attorney General and other states have filed suit and a temporary restraining order was in place with a court date scheduled April 16.
Why it matters: staff and program reductions in public health lab work and disease investigation could limit local ability to respond to outbreaks such as shigella, which supervisors specifically cited as an ongoing concern. County leaders said they will work with state partners and local public health networks to identify options and to preserve core services where possible.
The chief administrative officer also told the board that other federal budget changes are cascading to county departments and that the county is on track to present a recommended budget June 10, with hearings anticipated on June 24.
Public health officials said they continue to provide baseline services and are monitoring developments in litigation and state actions that could restore or alter funding.
