Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Economic Development topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Daly City council delays $100,000 appropriation for Top of the Hill street festival after questions on timing and transparency

Daly City City Council · July 8, 2024
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Councilmembers debated a $100,000 appropriation to launch a Top of the Hill street festival scheduled for Oct. 19, 2024; staff said $10,000 would pay an event planner and estimated $76,500 in sponsorship revenue, but members raised concerns about a short planning window and using general fund dollars. The council voted to defer the item to allow more outreach.

Daly City councilmembers on July 8 debated whether to appropriate $100,000 from the city’s unallocated general fund to underwrite a proposed “Top of the Hill” street festival and to authorize a professional services agreement with Anthony Presents LLC to help produce the event.

City staff said the event is being led by Economic & Community Development and that the $100,000 estimate includes $10,000 to retain an event planner to market the festival and secure sponsorships. Staff estimated roughly $76,500 in sponsorship and booth revenue could reduce the net cost, and said the event is planned for Saturday, Oct. 19.

“This would be a city event,” Director Nevin told the council, adding that public-safety, public-works and recreation departments have been consulted and would provide in-kind services. The city’s finance staff said the requested appropriation is roughly 0.08% of the general fund.

The discussion turned to timing and outreach. Council Member DeGiovanni said the Top of the Hill area is “not ready for prime time” and raised concerns about taking $100,000 from the general fund while city departments faced a 3% cut. “We don’t have any guarantee we’re going to get money back,” she said, pressing staff on why recreation staff were not leading the effort and whether neighborhood residents and small businesses had been fully engaged.

Staff and the event planner defended the timeline and selection process. An Anthony Presents representative described past festival experience and said the firm could help secure sponsors and marketing reach. Staff said the RFP was distributed and two proposals were received; one applicant withdrew and the selected vendor offered the most favorable mix of price and sponsorship capability.

Members also asked practical questions about security, police staffing, generators, transportation and ADA access. Line items in the event budget cited $2,500 for private security, $2,500 for police, $1,500 for generators, $20,000 for entertainment and $2,000 for transportation; staff characterized these as estimates from the planner’s proposal.

After public commenters urged both caution and support, the mayor moved to continue the item two weeks to allow additional outreach and to address operational questions; Council Member Glenn Sylvester seconded the motion. The clerk recorded at least two yes votes and one abstention (Misty Giovanni); the council therefore deferred final approval and asked staff to return with more detailed outreach and logistical plans.

Next steps: staff said they would continue logistical work (including coordinating with BART, Caltrans and local transit agencies for route and parking contingencies), expand outreach to businesses and residents, and return to council with finalized agreements and any necessary permits or special-event approvals.