Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Disaster Recovery topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Clearlake moves ahead on Boyle's Fire recovery, denies appeals and directs abatement of hazardous properties
Summary
Council recognized local and regional partners for Boyle's Fire Local Assistance Center, heard recovery updates from staff and denied appeals for 19 properties found to be public‑safety hazards, directing abatement to proceed using state grant funds to cover initial costs.
Get email alerts on the Disaster Recovery topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Clearlake City Council on Nov. 7 recognized local partner agencies that staffed the Boyle's Fire Local Assistance Center and received briefings on recovery work, then heard a multi‑property abatement hearing and denied appeals for 19 properties the city identified as public nuisances and fire hazards.
Staff and the Lake County Fire Marshal summarized LAC operations and recovery resources provided to survivors after the Boyle's Fire, including casework, document replacement and referrals. City staff said the fire burned roughly 90 acres, caused an estimated $9 million in property and infrastructure losses and that the city’s emergency proclamation allowed mobilization of state and federal recovery resources.
In the abatement hearing, code‑enforcement staff presented photographic evidence and inspection reports documenting hazardous vegetation, waste accumulation and ongoing ignition risks at multiple private parcels. Fire Marshal Autumn Lancaster told the council the Dan Road parcel had repeated unsafe conditions, combustible material, and ignition‑producing activity in dry season and urged the council to deny appeals and proceed with abatement.
Several current or prospective property owners addressed the council, describing cleanup plans or transfer of ownership and asking for additional time. Apolo Cortez said he purchased a tax‑sale property and was actively cleaning it up; property owner Gary Souza said he is in escrow with a buyer prepared to remediate another parcel. Staff said some owners had already removed waste but that the abatement list reflects long‑standing hazards and repeated noncompliance.
Councilmembers discussed timelines and staff explained abatement contractors will be procured through public bidding. Staff noted the city has received just under $500,000 in state grant funds to support the initial abatement actions; after abatement the city will record liens for the cost of cleanup against the properties.
After the hearing the council voted unanimously to deny the appeals and authorize staff to proceed with abatement on the properties listed in the staff report. Councilmembers emphasized they would work with owners who make demonstrable progress and that staff would verify compliance before spending city funds.
Staff said abatement work is expected to be advertised for bids and, depending on contractor availability and weather, initial work could take place in mid‑January; liens will be filed against properties for abatement costs where necessary.

