Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Land Use topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

City moved to remove Railroad Station Overlay District; ARB told Planning Commission will hear proposal Nov. 13

Fredericksburg Architectural Review Board · October 14, 2024
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Staff informed the ARB that City Council initiated removal of the Railroad Station Overlay District (Oct. 8); Director Mike Craig said removal would eliminate some transition restrictions (including a local height reduction) and that the Planning Commission will consider the proposal at a Nov. 13 public hearing. A resident raised a lack-of-notice concern; staff said the ARB item was informational and recommended commenting to the Planning Commission or council.

City planning staff told the Architectural Review Board that City Council initiated removal of the Railroad Station Overlay District at its Oct. 8 meeting. Director Mike Craig explained the overlay had been created around 1991 to encourage redevelopment near the train station and later added transition requirements (including a reduced height limit in parts of the overlay). Council's initiation would remove those additional restrictions in the affected area, but ARB review of new construction in the Historic Overlay District would remain unchanged.

Craig said the functional effect is to remove extra controls that had limited density and certain building forms; any changes would still be subject to the usual ARB review where applicable. Staff said the Planning Commission will take up the proposed removal at a public hearing on Nov. 13, after which any recommendation would go to City Council for consideration.

During public comment, Denise Malcheski, a resident at 220 Princess Anne Street, said she learned about item 12 (the overlay removal) only an hour earlier and that it had not been listed in the public notice in the Fredericksburg Free Lance–Star. Malcheski urged the board to avoid substantive discussion that would deprive the public of notice and an opportunity to comment. Staff responded that the public notice is required for items that trigger formal hearings and that this ARB briefing was informational; staff advised the resident that the Planning Commission and City Council are the appropriate venues for formal comment and that the Planning Commission schedule lists Nov. 13 for public review.

The ARB took no formal action on the overlay removal, consistent with staff's representation that the item was an information item and that subsequent public hearings will allow comment.