Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Public Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Roseburg council withholds ARPA funding for Public Safety Center renovation, rejects bids
Summary
Councilors voted to withhold awarding a $575,500 ARPA-funded contract to finish office and shower space on the Public Safety Center’s third floor and instead moved those funds back into the general fund; council also voted to reject all bids for the project after a 4–3 split.
Get email alerts on the Public Safety topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Roseburg’s City Council on Nov. 18 voted to withhold funding for a planned renovation of the Public Safety Center’s third floor and to reject all construction bids after weeks of debate over using American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) money for city office space.
The project, designed by Wilson Architecture, would have finished roughly 1,800 square feet of previously unfinished space, added two single-occupant shower/restrooms, and converted storage into general office space. Staff reported the low construction bid was $455,000, the architect’s estimate was $501,771, and total project costs including design, permitting and contingency amounted to $575,500. Council had previously authorized using ARPA funds to design and bid the project.
Supporters — including Mayor Larry Rich and Councilors Andrea and Kylie — said the city owns the building and needs to finish usable space now rather than face higher costs later. “If we just drop it and say we’re going to put it in the general fund, we still have to pay the design fees,” Rich said during the discussion.
Opponents argued ARPA dollars would better serve urgent community needs. Councilor Ellen Porter moved to forego awarding the bid and move the money into the general fund “until we have a proven need”; that motion was seconded and carried on a 4–3 vote. Porter and other councilors pointed to competing needs including homelessness, park safety and other community priorities as reasons to hold funds in reserve.
After that vote, council considered a separate motion to reject all bids for the project; that motion also passed 4–3, formally ending the procurement and leaving the city to retain design costs already incurred.
What’s next: Council’s action keeps ARPA funds available in the general fund for now. Staff and council members said design work already paid for could be resumed later without redoing plans, and the item may return if priorities or funding change.
Sources: City staff presentation and council discussion on Nov. 18, 2024.
