Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Urban Forestry topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

San Fernando council approves tree‑trimming contract, directs staff to pursue RFP

San Fernando City Council · November 19, 2024
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

The City Council approved a three‑year piggyback contract with West Coast Arborist for grid and large‑tree trimming but directed staff to begin a competitive RFP process and to seek short‑term contract flexibility so trimming continues through the windy season.

The San Fernando City Council voted to approve a three‑year, piggyback contract with West Coast Arborist for citywide tree maintenance while directing staff to commence a public Request for Proposals (RFP) to re‑bid the service.

Council members debated the item after staff and the contractor described the work scope: West Coast would provide grid trimming on a seven‑year cycle and handle large or specialty trees that city crews cannot service. Public Works Director Wendell Johnson said the firm’s proposed grid pruning rate is about $86 per tree and that the company’s grid pruning rate would rise by roughly $7 under the proposed contract, a roughly 9% increase. Eric Diaz, West Coast Arborist business development, told the council the underlying agreement was competitively bid by another agency earlier this year and that the firm had been awarded that contract against three competitors.

Several council members pressed staff about the procurement history. Council Member Joe Fajardo and others noted the city’s prior direct RFP for this service was in 2007 and the most recent local procurement relied on a piggyback arrangement. Council Member (Victoria) Garcia, who moved the secondary motion that passed, said she supported approving the contract now to ensure trimming continues and emphasized the council also should run an RFP: “I just don’t wanna risk it,” she said. Vice Mayor Mary Mendoza said she could support an RFP so long as trimming does not stop during the process.

City staff told the council the contract term could be set by agreement but that, under the draft terms, the city also would retain the ability to terminate without cause on 30 days’ notice. Staff recommended extending services through the spring trimming season and, concurrently, pursuing an RFP; council instructed staff to pursue short‑term contract arrangements with West Coast as needed to avoid service interruptions.

The secondary motion to approve the contract and begin an RFP passed on roll call (Garcia yes; Salodio yes; Fajardo no; Mendoza yes; Mayor Rodriguez yes). The council also approved the separate on‑call traffic‑signal maintenance item that the public works director described as emergency/knockdown services.

Council asked staff to return with details on month‑to‑month pricing, the timeline for an RFP (staff estimated 3–6 months), and a clearer report of recent trimming activity so members and the public can verify ongoing service levels.

The council’s direction leaves the city with a short‑term procurement in place to preserve public safety while committing to a transparent competitive process to test price and service alternatives.