City praises officers after shooting; shot-spotter coverage doubled

Pueblo City Council · November 25, 2025

Get AI-powered insights, summaries, and transcripts

Subscribe
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

City chief of staff Brian McCain told the council that three officers were shot in a recent incident, two have been released from the hospital and all three remain in stable condition. He also said the department expanded its gunshot‑detection coverage from about 3 to 6 square miles.

Brian McCain, the city’s chief of staff, opened the council meeting with an update on a shooting last week that left the suspect deceased and three Pueblo Police Department officers wounded. McCain said two of the three officers shot were released from the hospital and all three remain in stable condition, and he asked the community to keep the officers and department staff in their thoughts.

McCain told the council that the police department recently expanded its gunshot detection, or “shot-spotter,” system from roughly 3 square miles of coverage to about 6 square miles to improve detection of gunfire events. He framed the expansion as part of the department’s effort to support officers and improve public safety after the recent incident.

McCain also summarized non-public-safety city work in the same update: city cleanup crews worked in the Bessemer Central Area removing substantial household waste from one house targeted for demolition (he listed 1,800 needles, five carts and 14 tires, requiring two dump trips), and Parks & Recreation posted adult softball registration (team fee $450) with registration available at www.pueblo.us. He noted El Centro del Quinto Sol’s spring-break hours and gave its address.