Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Cultural District And Artist Rights topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Santa Ana artists and commissioners contest cultural‑district bid and contract terms, citing alleged inaccuracies and rights waivers
Summary
Public speakers and commissioners at the Nov. 20 Arts and Culture Commission meeting said a proposed California Arts Council cultural‑district application was withdrawn amid protest and criticized delayed restoration‑grant contracts that they say asked artists to waive federal and state protections; the commission asked staff for improved communication and clearer policies.
Get email alerts on the Cultural District And Artist Rights topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Public speakers and several commissioners pressed Santa Ana staff on Nov. 20 over the handling of a California Arts Council (CAC) cultural‑district application and the city’s administration of restoration grants, saying the process left artists uninformed and exposed to harmful contract terms.
Victor Payan of United Artists of Santa Ana told the commission that his group and partner organizations withdrew their application to the CAC Cultural Districts program after learning that a local critic was preparing a protest letter. Payan said that the letter contained “numerous key inaccuracies and falsehoods,” including a claim that Arts OC had led a problematic 2017 proposal when, he said, Grand Central Art Center was the lead partner.
Alicia Rojas, speaking separately during public comment, told commissioners she and other restoration‑grant winners received a third version of the city contract late at night that again asked grantees to waive their visual‑artist rights and California preservation rights. “This third contract that came last night is asking us to waive our visual act rights again, on murals that you’re not commissioning,” Rojas said, adding that the five awardees experienced months of silence from staff after being notified of the grant award earlier in the year.
Commissioners and presenters described frustration with a lack of timely communication from staff and with applications that listed partner organizations without their explicit consent. A commissioner also raised the Brown Act and public‑record concerns after saying emails and communications from local arts groups were not acknowledged for months; the commissioner urged that submitted applications be vetted and verified before being sent to state reviewers.
Staff did not adopt any formal action at the meeting. The matter of the CAC application was described in public comment as withdrawn by the applicants; Payan said the withdrawal was made “rather than risk portraying Santa Ana in a negative light.” City staff acknowledged earlier errors in sending an incorrect contract version and apologized in correspondence to at least one applicant, according to comments read aloud.
Why it matters: Commissioners and artists said the episode revealed process gaps — delayed communications, inconsistent contracting, and unclear protections for artists — that could deter participation in city programs and jeopardize public artworks. Speakers urged the commission and staff to establish clearer contracting timelines, to avoid asking artists to waive federal and state preservation protections, and to ensure future district or grant applications include informed consent from named partners.
What’s next: Commissioners asked staff to follow up and to work toward policy fixes and better communications. No vote or formal policy change occurred at the Nov. 20 meeting; the commission adjourned and will next meet Jan. 15, 2026.

