Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Community Services topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Blythewood council approves $2,500 for council-directed food drive and punts events policy to strategic planning

Blythewood Town Council · November 25, 2025
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

Council voted to allocate up to $2,500 to the Christian Assistance Bridge for a council-directed food-drive program and moved broader decisions on town-sponsored park events (including night-time events) into a January strategic planning session after debate over safety, accounting and oversight.

BLYTHEWOOD, S.C. — The Blythewood Town Council on Nov. 24 approved up to $2,500 to support a council-directed community food drive for the Christian Assistance Bridge (CAB) and directed staff and council members to work out program logistics.

Councilwoman Fripp proposed running an eight-week program, purchasing weekly food packages through local vendors and delivering them to CAB so donations supported a local business while feeding residents. Council discussion centered on whether the town should give cash or purchase goods, logistics of weekly distribution, the potential to match public donations and how to minimize extra paperwork for the recipient organization. Councilman McKendrick moved to allocate up to $2,500 to CAB, with details to be worked out between Councilwoman Fripp and Interim Town Manager Mr. Driggers; the motion passed by voice vote.

Events and public safety: Council also debated whether the town should sponsor after-dark events in the town park. Speakers recalled prior large gatherings that deteriorated after sundown and questioned how security had been planned for earlier events; one councilmember said $20,000 from a prior Juneteenth budget “walked away” without a clear accounting, prompting calls for financial clarity before approving new night events. Residents urged both caution and continued community engagement. Several council members recommended a security or operational audit and improved planning before resuming night events.

Action on events: Instead of making final decisions at the Nov. 24 meeting, council voted to move the town events discussion — including funding questions that affect the 2025–26 budget year — into a strategic planning session in January (the council specified the move would be a discussion item only; no action items will be decided at that session). Several councilmembers asked staff to prepare materials and security/operational analyses in advance.

Who said what: Councilwoman Fripp framed the food drive and suggested using local retailers to assemble weekly packages. Councilman Brock and others supported purchasing goods to reduce restrictions and suggested $250/week as a working figure. In the events debate, residents Lawrence Moore and Jamelle Moseley urged either continued events with planning or stronger safety controls; the mayor and manager emphasized working with Richland County Sheriff’s Department for security assessments.

Next steps: Staff will work with council members to finalize food-drive logistics and will return details (vendor, delivery, schedule) to council and the media. The town will add town-events planning to the January strategic planning agenda and prepare security and budget materials for that session.

Transcript provenance: Food-drive discussion begins in the old-business section (council proposal and motion to allocate funds) and concluded with the voice vote authorizing up to $2,500. The town-events discussion (park safety and planning) began as contiguous old-business debate and concluded with a motion and roll-call vote to move the topic to the January strategic planning session.