Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Environmental Remediation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Ridgewood council moves forward with DEP‑approved excavation plan for Schedler property as neighbors press for alternatives
Summary
Matrix New World Engineering told the Ridgewood council on Dec. 3 that the NJDEP approved a remedial action work plan calling for excavation and off‑site disposal of contaminated fill at the Schedler property; residents urged bioremediation, additional testing and raised concerns about tree loss, truck traffic and health risks.
Get email alerts on the Environmental Remediation topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Sharon Stecker, vice president and director of environmental services for Matrix New World Engineering, told the Ridgewood Village Council on Dec. 3 that the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection has approved a remedial action work plan calling for excavation and off‑site disposal of contaminated fill at the Schedler property, a parcel proposed for a future park.
"Excavation and disposal is the only alternative that fully removes the contaminated fill from the property, eliminating ongoing exposure pathways," Stecker said, adding that excavation provides "immediate measurable results" while alternatives such as bioremediation can take years and may not achieve the residential standards required by the DEP.
During a technical question‑and‑answer session, Matrix staff described the site as a heterogeneous mix of materials — debris, solid waste and imported fill — and said that achieving contaminant contact and consistent results with bioremediation would require extensive pilot testing, mixing and long‑term monitoring. Stecker said project plans will include air monitoring, controlled truck hours, dust suppression and coordination with public safety officials to mitigate construction impacts.
Residents who spoke during the meeting urged the council to reconsider excavation and to keep the site intact when possible. "If you take this dirt and move it somewhere else, you're kicking the can down the road," said Anne Loving, a Ridgewood resident who also argued that preserving the berm would protect children from traffic and help maintain tree cover. Others said the village previously placed material at the site and questioned whether the work should be delayed from January into warmer months to reduce impacts.
Village Manager Keith Casmark and other council members told the public that the contamination identified on the Schedler site stems from imported fill and that the NJDEP residential cleanup standard applies because the plan envisions public use. Casmark said the delineation and testing were done up front and that, in this situation, the DEP does not require post‑excavation testing because the plan is drawn from pre‑excavation delineation showing where to dig.
Council members emphasized two separable issues: the regulatory remediation required to address contaminated fill and the later park development, which will be addressed separately. Staff said excavation is the path they will pursue based on the technical recommendation and DEP approval but that further details — including contractor requirements, air monitoring locations, procedures for notifying residents of any air‑quality exceedance and temporary bus‑stop relocations — will be developed and communicated to the neighborhood.
The meeting did not record a formal council vote on contracts or a construction contract; council and staff described next steps as preparation of bid specifications, contractor selection and development of detailed mitigation and notification plans. The council also said it will provide design details and additional public outreach as plans advance.

