Committee receives Fairgrounds quarterly report as parents raise alarm over new fair dates
Get AI-powered insights, summaries, and transcripts
SubscribeSummary
The Finance and Government Operations Committee received the Santa Clara County Fairgrounds quarterly report; staff outlined a dual track master plan and potential private investment while public commenters, including FFA families, urged the county to address a proposed change of fair dates that they say would prevent seniors from participating and impose financial losses.
The Santa Clara County Finance and Government Operations Committee on Dec. 16 received the quarterly report on the county fairgrounds as staff described plans to "activate the core grounds" and begin a 12‑month master planning process while parents and FFA families warned a proposed date change would imperil youth participation.
Deputy County Executive Consuelo Hernandez told the committee the office is pursuing a two‑track approach: work to activate the fairgrounds’ core operation now while selecting a consultant for a broader master plan that will factor in market feasibility and the site’s emergency response role. Hernandez said there are "real opportunities" for private investment, including community dollars for kitchen facilities, but some redevelopment elements remain aspirational.
Supervisor Allenberg pressed staff on whether investment partners are already lined up or whether the business plan language is aspirational; Hernandez said both elements are present — some private dollars exist for specific projects while larger redevelopment remains an aspiration pending consultant work. County staff and a respondent named James said excess revenue would more likely be reinvested on site to address significant deferred infrastructure than be pulled into the general fund.
Public commenters focused on a separate operational decision: several speakers said the fair’s dates had been changed to Aug. 19, 2026, and argued that change conflicts with school start dates and would prevent 4‑H and FFA seniors from showing animals. An unidentified parent told the committee she had "been begging the County for a screening for my children" and said District Attorney Jeff Rosen "refuses to provide a referral to the child advocacy center," asking the committee to help secure screenings; the committee did not take formal action on those allegations, which were raised during the public comment period.
Megan Davies, a Gilroy FFA parent, told the committee the livestock portion of the fair costs about $21,000 to stage and said families could face as much as $100,000 in at‑risk livestock purchases across exhibitors if students cannot participate; she called the suggested solution of selling animals "unacceptable" for seniors or students who have already made investments. James Cooper, another parent, echoed concerns about financial losses and seniors who will be in college and unable to attend.
Committee members asked staff to take the concerns under advisement as they move through planning and engagement; staff said they plan a different approach to community engagement than in past failed master‑planning efforts and anticipate bringing engagement recommendations through FGOC once a consultant is under contract. The committee voted to receive the report and the motion carried.
The committee did not change the fair dates during the meeting; next steps noted by staff include consultant selection and future FGOC review of public engagement plans.
