Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Justice For Cello topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Erie residents press county council for 'justice for Cello,' accuse council of withdrawing Black Wall Street funding
Summary
Dozens of Erie residents used public comment at the Dec. 9 county council meeting to demand accountability in the death of Marcello 'Cello' Woodard, accuse the council of systemic racism and criticize the removal of funds from an initiative described as 'Erie's Black Wall Street.'
Get email alerts on the Justice For Cello topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Dozens of residents told Erie County Council on Dec. 9 that the county has failed Black residents after the July 2 death of Marcello 'Cello' Woodard and criticized recent budget decisions they said targeted programs serving people of color.
"How dare you?" Michelle Dovishaw asked the council during public comment, accusing members of showing "very clear systemic racism" and urging equity in criminal justice and county programs. Multiple speakers tied recent vote outcomes to alleged racial bias and to the council's decision to rescind support or funding for an initiative they called "Erie's Black Wall Street." Jerry Roberts said the removal of that funding "seemed like I was listening to a 'say no' commercial" and accused council members of repeatedly voting against programs that benefit Black residents.
Speakers described ongoing frustration over what they called a lack of transparency and follow-through on requests for special meetings and town halls about the Woodard case. Deontay Cooley told the council, "We have not heard anything about justice for Cello," and said the district attorney's office has not attended recent meetings to respond to community concerns. Mimi O'Connor said the Woodard family had been "left in the dark" and urged action: "What we want is arrest, indictment, and conviction. Nothing less." Malcolm Pulliam and others urged the council to invest in officer training and community-based safety measures rather than cutting programs that support homeownership and local businesses.
Speakers also called out named county employees and officials. Deontay Cooley said Kevin Seelinger "still has a job" and suggested he should have been fired and possibly prosecuted; that allegation was presented as a community claim without a formal response from the council or county administration during the meeting. Multiple commenters urged the council to restore or redirect funds to organizations and programs that support Black homeownership and small businesses and to hold public discussions about next steps if prosecutorial decisions are not forthcoming.
Council members did not offer extended rebuttals during the public-comment period. Several speakers used the meeting to thank departing council member Andre Horton for his service while warning that Horton's successor could change representation on boards and commissions. Public commenters repeatedly asked the council to schedule town halls and to be more responsive to community requests for transparency about both the Woodard case and budget priorities.
The public-comment period concluded before the meeting moved into old business and formal agenda items. The council did not take formal action on the community demands during the Dec. 9 session; attendees left having publicly registered the community's concerns and requests for accountability and clearer next steps.

