Council previews public hearing on proposed alley vacation near 6 S. Franklin Street; public works to investigate service impacts
Get AI-powered insights, summaries, and transcripts
SubscribeSummary
At a Jan. 6 pre-meeting the Mobile City Council said it will hold a public hearing on vacating an alley adjacent to 6 South Franklin Street and will ask public works to investigate whether vacating the alley would disrupt daily garbage pickup or other services; the clerk had circulated emailed comments from Wanda Cochran.
The Mobile City Council on Jan. 6 previewed a public hearing on vacating an alley adjacent to 6 South Franklin Street and asked city staff to research practical effects, including whether vacating the alley could interfere with downtown service access.
City Clerk Lisa Carroll told the council that emailed comments from Wanda Cochran had been circulated ahead of the hearing. After reading Cochran's comments, a council member said the email raised questions about "exactly what's happening with this property and why the alleyway may or may not need to be vacated." The council asked staff for more information before the hearing.
Councilmember Reynolds asked public works whether vacating the alley would affect daily garbage pickups in downtown areas where some buildings have been vacant. Public-works staff replied they had not previously reviewed that alley, described it as behind the cathedral and said they would need to look into the site and the map before answering whether service would be disrupted.
Clerk said the item is currently at first reading and that staff will provide the council with additional details; the public hearing will consider a vacation fee as a condition of vacating the alley at 6 South Franklin Street.
