Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!
Get email alerts on the Parks Recovery topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Residents press Charlotte County to speed South Gulf Cove boat-ramp repairs as hurricane season nears
Summary
Dozens of South Gulf Cove and Port Charlotte residents urged commissioners to fast-track design and temporary repairs for the South Gulf Cove boat ramp and open parts of Port Charlotte Beach Park, citing insurance requirements, safety risks and an Army Corps expedited-permit window.
Get email alerts on the Parks Recovery topic
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Dozens of residents urged the Charlotte County Board of County Commissioners on April 8 to accelerate repairs to the South Gulf Cove boat ramp and reopen parts of the Port Charlotte Beach Park ahead of hurricane season.
At public comment, speakers described the ramp as vital to daily life, senior boaters and insurance compliance. Michael Oberacker said the ramp's closure could force residents to travel farther and risk losing emergency permit opportunities, noting, "We should not miss this as it would take care of anything further down the road," referencing an Army Corps of Engineers expedited permitting deadline. Other speakers described boats already lost during past storms and warned of environmental and safety hazards from derelict vessels left in canals.
Community Services Director Tommy Scott told commissioners staff had expedited several recovery steps: boardwalk demolition and environmental fencing at Inglewood Beach, a park-and-ride pilot to improve access during limited parking, and an item to add the South Gulf Cove boat-ramp design to procurement requests. Scott said design and permitting for a full repair typically take an estimated 12—18 months, with construction following; he added that his office would include phased and temporary fixes in the consultant scope if the board directed it.
Commissioners pressed staff for options that balance safety, cost, and FEMA reimbursement eligibility. Several commissioners suggested that the upcoming design RFP include a phasing approach to identify a short-term, engineered temporary fix that could be used while full permitting and construction proceed.
The board also voted unanimously to suspend park parking fees temporarily while access is limited, a measure staff said will be brought back at a later date with budget implications and enforcement details.
Tommy Scott said staff had already issued procurement requests that include the South Gulf Cove ramp design work and that the county had identified internal capital maintenance funds to begin design. He cautioned that eligibility for expedited federal permitting was limited by narrow Army Corps criteria and that staff's prior experience suggested many park projects do not qualify, but he said the county would continue to pursue any available emergency pathways.
Next steps: staff will incorporate temporary/phased fixes into the South Gulf Cove design scope, return with budget implications for suspending parking fees, and report back to the board on opportunities to open limited parts of Port Charlotte Beach that do not jeopardize FEMA reimbursement.
