Citizen Portal
Sign In

Get Full Government Meeting Transcripts, Videos, & Alerts Forever!

Get email alerts on the Federal Funding Freeze topic

No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.

Board directs contingency planning as federal agency moves to restrict benefits for CalWORKs and child care

Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors · January 14, 2026
AI-Generated Content: All content on this page was generated by AI to highlight key points from the meeting. For complete details and context, we recommend watching the full video. so we can fix them.

Summary

After a federal directive threatened to freeze TANF/CalWORKs, CCDF and SSBG funds, the board directed departments to develop contingency and communication plans, coordinated with the state and attorney general, and authorized county counsel to monitor and join litigation if needed.

The Board of Supervisors on Jan. 13 adopted a motion directing county departments to assess exposure and prepare contingency plans in case federal action to restrict funds for CalWORKs, child care and other social service block grants proceeds.

Supervisor Holly Mitchell said the board could not wait for the courts and must ensure readiness if funds are delayed or withheld. County staff explained payment timing: CalWORKs assistance is advanced at month‑end for use the following month (the county receives benefit dollars near month end and issues payments between the 1st and 10th). DPSS reported administrative payments for February had been received but noted the temporary restraining order in federal court was short‑lived and an adverse ruling could disrupt the late‑January drawdown and February distributions.

The motion also directs county counsel to coordinate with the attorney general and similarly situated jurisdictions, collect a factual record and—if appropriate—file, join as party, or support litigation against federal funding restrictions. The board approved the motion unanimously and added language giving counsel flexibility to act quickly on litigation.

County contingency and communications: County leaders said they have already begun contingency planning (food distribution partnerships, 211 coordination, rent relief infrastructure readiness and partnerships with CBOs) and estimated around $5 million in remaining funds from the county’s previous emergency food response that could be used for immediate food assistance. Officials emphasized these amounts are not a substitute for the scale of federal benefit flows; CalWORKs cash assistance in the county totals roughly $106 million a month and childcare subsidy draws about $22 million a month, figures county leaders cited as outside the county’s capacity to replace.

What happens next: County counsel will continue coordination with the State Attorney General, departments will prepare operational contingency plans and a countywide communications push will be readied to avoid panic and keep families informed. The board authorized counsel to monitor and join litigation as needed.